Schematic Review Request

More
15 Mar 2017 22:08 #89693 by Lcvette
Hello all,

I have decided to have a go at Linuxcnc/PathPilot and wanted to sort out my schematic before completing the wiring so no surprises get me after the fact. I wanted to defer to the trailblazer who have been there and done it to make sure my foundation for wiring is sound. From the other thread, an update, I purchased a correct 5v encoder to avoid the voltage divider requirement, rather start going into this with as few "work arounds" as possible.

If you can spare a moment to review my connections and poke holes in it I your input and feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance all!

Chris

File Attachment:

File Name: 3in1LatheC...atic.pdf
File Size:67 KB
Attachments:
More
16 Mar 2017 00:57 #89709 by tommylight
2 things, Mesa has diferential outputs for step and direction, so that is +-10V, not 5V, some drives (most) are 3.3 or 5V only so you have to use only dir+ and step+ OR dir- and step- and wire the other wire to gnd or +5V respectively. Or just make sure they can handle 10V.
Also i would not power the switches through the Mesa board, wire them to power supply through a fuse.
The rest is good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette
More
16 Mar 2017 02:02 #89711 by Lcvette

tommylight wrote: 2 things, Mesa has diferential outputs for step and direction, so that is +-10V, not 5V, some drives (most) are 3.3 or 5V only so you have to use only dir+ and step+ OR dir- and step- and wire the other wire to gnd or +5V respectively. Or just make sure they can handle 10V.
Also i would not power the switches through the Mesa board, wire them to power supply through a fuse.
The rest is good.

This is the information I found for my motors and drives, I'm not sure if they are ok to run +/-10v. Maybe you see something I don't?

Attachments:
More
16 Mar 2017 04:09 #89723 by Lcvette
The information I posted I see says differential, and 5v or 24v, but I don't see anywhere that it states +/- 10v. Sorry if this should be simple, but I've always wired it the other way. But I see it states that differential is better in the manual and if these drives can be wired that way I would like to do so.

Thanks!

Chris
More
16 Mar 2017 07:39 #89730 by Lcvette
Ok after a long time searching, i found this blurb in the description... And it states that all step and direction outputs are 5v....... And my drive state they support differential so I'm going to assume I am good to go to write the step drives as shown. I wil correct the sensor voltage connections direct to the 24v power supply as instructed!

Thanks again for the extra eyes!

Chris

Attachments:
More
16 Mar 2017 09:38 #89734 by tommylight
You are good to go. They can go up to 24V so no worries.
Regards,
Tom
More
16 Mar 2017 15:27 #89748 by Lcvette
Cool thanks!! Will change the other items and repost.
More
20 Mar 2017 03:27 - 20 Mar 2017 03:36 #89923 by Lcvette
Well, after a long weekend of wiring, the control cabinet is finished. Just need to run a new 220v power outlet to the new lathe location and power everything up. Now it's time to dig into Linux cnc and figure out what's needed to make stuff move!

]
Attachments:
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2017 03:36 by Lcvette.
More
20 Mar 2017 20:55 #89965 by brianTruck
wow,
Nice clean job!

Brian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette
More
20 Mar 2017 20:57 #89966 by Lcvette

brianTruck wrote: wow,
Nice clean job!

Brian

Thanks Brian! now if i understood the next steps I could make it more than a bench ornament..hahaha
Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds