Schematic Review Request

More
15 Mar 2017 22:08 #89693 by Lcvette
Hello all,

I have decided to have a go at Linuxcnc/PathPilot and wanted to sort out my schematic before completing the wiring so no surprises get me after the fact. I wanted to defer to the trailblazer who have been there and done it to make sure my foundation for wiring is sound. From the other thread, an update, I purchased a correct 5v encoder to avoid the voltage divider requirement, rather start going into this with as few "work arounds" as possible.

If you can spare a moment to review my connections and poke holes in it I your input and feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance all!

Chris

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2017 00:57 #89709 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Schematic Review Request
2 things, Mesa has diferential outputs for step and direction, so that is +-10V, not 5V, some drives (most) are 3.3 or 5V only so you have to use only dir+ and step+ OR dir- and step- and wire the other wire to gnd or +5V respectively. Or just make sure they can handle 10V.
Also i would not power the switches through the Mesa board, wire them to power supply through a fuse.
The rest is good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
16 Mar 2017 02:02 #89711 by Lcvette
Replied by Lcvette on topic Schematic Review Request

2 things, Mesa has diferential outputs for step and direction, so that is +-10V, not 5V, some drives (most) are 3.3 or 5V only so you have to use only dir+ and step+ OR dir- and step- and wire the other wire to gnd or +5V respectively. Or just make sure they can handle 10V.
Also i would not power the switches through the Mesa board, wire them to power supply through a fuse.
The rest is good.

This is the information I found for my motors and drives, I'm not sure if they are ok to run +/-10v. Maybe you see something I don't?

Attachments:

More
16 Mar 2017 04:09 #89723 by Lcvette
The information I posted I see says differential, and 5v or 24v, but I don't see anywhere that it states +/- 10v. Sorry if this should be simple, but I've always wired it the other way. But I see it states that differential is better in the manual and if these drives can be wired that way I would like to do so.

Thanks!

Chris

More
16 Mar 2017 07:39 #89730 by Lcvette
Ok after a long time searching, i found this blurb in the description... And it states that all step and direction outputs are 5v....... And my drive state they support differential so I'm going to assume I am good to go to write the step drives as shown. I wil correct the sensor voltage connections direct to the 24v power supply as instructed!

Thanks again for the extra eyes!

Chris

Attachments:

More
16 Mar 2017 09:38 #89734 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Schematic Review Request
You are good to go. They can go up to 24V so no worries.
Regards,
Tom

More
16 Mar 2017 15:27 #89748 by Lcvette
Cool thanks!! Will change the other items and repost.

More
20 Mar 2017 03:27 - 20 Mar 2017 03:36 #89923 by Lcvette
Well, after a long weekend of wiring, the control cabinet is finished. Just need to run a new 220v power outlet to the new lathe location and power everything up. Now it's time to dig into Linux cnc and figure out what's needed to make stuff move!

]
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Mar 2017 03:36 by Lcvette.

More
20 Mar 2017 20:55 #89965 by brianTruck
Replied by brianTruck on topic Schematic Review Request
wow,
Nice clean job!

Brian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
20 Mar 2017 20:57 #89966 by Lcvette

wow,
Nice clean job!

Brian

Thanks Brian! now if i understood the next steps I could make it more than a bench ornament..hahaha

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds