Looking for assistance 5i25/7i76 with PathPilot

More
19 Jul 2017 13:49 #96071 by racedirector
Having a hell of a time getting the above combo working on my Pathpilot install.

I did as suggested and got the 5i25/7i76 combo working under LinuxCNC 2.7.9 using Axis and then transferred those configs over to PP.

PP fires up after flashing the 5i25 (does this EVERY time I start PP BTW, is that right?) however problems appear immediately with me pressing reset. It resets OK but not until it has spat out the following errors"

"Must be in joint mode or disabled to unhome" it does this 3 times
and then says

"Machine has been estopped. Restore Power etc etc...

When I jog with the keyboard and then take my finger off any of the axis it stops the speed it was doing and crawls really slowly. The only way to stop it is to again touch the jog key at which time PP throws a joint 0 or 1 or 2 following error.

I have gone insane for the past week trying to get this to work to no avail so here I am seeking help.

I have attached my LCNC configs and my PP configs under 5i25 & 7i76. If anyone can see the error I would very much appreciate it.The configs with 5i25 in the name are PP configs. All the others are std lcnc under 2.7.9

File Attachment:

File Name: blacksheep..._770.ini
File Size:8 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: blacksheep_5i25.hal
File Size:10 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: postgui_bl...5i25.hal
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: blacksheep-mesa.ini
File Size:5 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: blacksheep-mesa.hal
File Size:12 KB

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2017 12:42 #96136 by andypugh

PP fires up after flashing the 5i25 (does this EVERY time I start PP BTW, is that right?)

No, that doesnt seem right, and might even be wrong. Inasmuch as the EEPROM probably has limited write cycles.

Does it fail elegantly if you comment-out the firmware line in the [HOSTMOT2] section of the INI?

I can't really help with the rest, I long ago decided that PP was too much trouble.

More
20 Jul 2017 12:52 #96139 by Clive S
Please take this with a pinch of salt as I am not an expert.

But from what I have read PP will overwrite and flash the 5125 read this tutorial :- forum.linuxcnc.org/pathpilot/30214-pathp...hines-tutorial-part1 if I read this correctly it shows the reason and answer to this.

More
21 Jul 2017 12:21 #96216 by racedirector
Thanks Andy

I haven't had the PC back to the machine yet but will try that out.

Clive, I do have the owner & group set per as that thread, I also have the bit file in the right place. That is the tread I followed in the first place.

At this stage I'll have to wait for more definitive help as I need my machine to do some work so I am desperately trying to get Gmoccapy working how I want it to.

Hopefully I'll get back to PP sooner rather than later.

Cheers

More
22 Jul 2017 23:18 #96297 by smgvbest
did you edit the config_file.txt to point to your INI file?
if not it's pointing to the tormach one and would do as you describe

edit ~/config_file.txt

Mine had
~/tmc/configs/tormach_lathe/tormach_lathe.ini
i changed to
~/tmc/configs/tormach_lathe/grizzly_lathe_5i25.ini

save and run operator_login see if that helps

i ask because I didn't see you mention you did this step

More
22 Jul 2017 23:53 #96300 by racedirector
Yup, all that was done. I have been running PP for a while now under parallel port and only just have switched over to mesa cards. It's the mesa cards that are the problem.

More
23 Jul 2017 02:59 #96302 by smgvbest
ok then could we see two more files

attach your /home/operator/gcode/logfiles/pathpilotlog.txt
and while pathpilot is up do in another terminal do
dmesg | grep 5i25
and paste the output

that will give some diagnostic informaiton

More
23 Jul 2017 04:04 - 23 Jul 2017 04:06 #96304 by racedirector
Okie dokie, here they are - pp log, and 5i25 & 7i76 greps.

File Attachment:

File Name: 7i76-dmesg.txt
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: pathpilotlog.txt
File Size:8 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: 5i25-dmesg.txt
File Size:12 KB

The 5i25 text file is from a couple of attempts to get things happening, thats why there are multiple "copies" of the 5i25.

I reset PP, tried to jog X which resulted in a joint 0 error, does the same if you try and home.

Andy, I rem'ed out the bitfile and PP starts "as normal". Checked the perms on the file and it is as required. Really strange why it would be reflashing everytime it starts
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jul 2017 04:06 by racedirector.

More
23 Jul 2017 08:32 #96308 by racedirector
A little bit of progress. Was looking to copy the tool table and found the redis data file was missing some stuff. I replaced the dump.rdb file and the machine suddenly started to work somewhat. X & Y now move without joint errors but Z is still still doing stupid things. I can only jog at 110ipm even thought my ini settings are for 750ipm and the workspace display is way off as well.

I suspect my whole saga has been caused by the old parallel port information in redis and I maybe have to do a reinstall to get rid of it, that is unless someone nows how to reset redis.

More
24 Jul 2017 13:57 - 24 Jul 2017 13:58 #96347 by racedirector
So I seem to have got it working.

I did a complete reinstall of PP on a new SSD only to find it was exactly the same, minus at least the complaints about being in joint mode or unhomed. The Z was still acting up as it was on the last install. Took another look at the ini file and saw the Z settings for timings etc, these:

DEADBAND = 0.0
P = 1000.0
I = 0.0
D = 0.0
FF0 = 0.0
FF1 = 1.0
FF2 = 0.0
BIAS = 0.0
MAX_OUTPUT = 0.0

were different from X & Y. Not really knowing what they actually do I just copied X's settings into Z and lo and behold Z started to work as it should. There is no doubt that if I learnt what these settings do I could probably tune the motors more but for now I can go back to making the machine cut things instead of stuffing around with the control software.

If anyone can point me to info on the above settings it would be appreciated, don't really like just cutting and pasting things I don't understand.

Thanks all for your help to date, there is nothing like a problem to motivate me :)

Cheers
Last edit: 24 Jul 2017 13:58 by racedirector.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds