Laser engraving with LCNC

More
30 Jul 2017 22:27 #96711 by grump
Hi guys.
On another forum a lot people have asked me about these cheap Chinese laser engravers to the point where I bought one to see if it would do what they want.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SuperCarver-NEJE-USB-...p2057872.m2749.l2649

I had always ridiculed them as a dangerous toy but gave in to curiosity and set up a windows PC in preparation for my new experiment.
Without doing a full appraisal of it I will just say that I am not unimpressed with its performance for engraving names in wooden pen barrels and that is what the questionnaires are referring to.

I will do a full appraisal for them on their forum, but now I am keen to put one of these modules on my little 3020T to give me a larger area to print in.

Having done a search of the forum and tinterweb in general I cant find good guide to show me how best to go about it. Could someone either point me in the right direction or guide me through it?

The fitting and hard wiring is not an issue nor is what I will be using, I have ordered one of these to play with.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focusable-500mw-808nm...p2055119.m1438.l2649

I understand its capabilities and have no intention of trying to cut or deep engrave with it simply to print or pinpoint mark is enough for my purpose and this is easily able to do it.
What I would like assistance with is the connection to LCNC and the switching of it.
From what I have read to date confuses me as to whether I should connect it to the Z axis or try switching through spindle. I attach my current hal and ini file, as you will see I use the fourth axis but still have available pins to chose from.
Thanks in advance for any help

File Attachment:

File Name: my-mill_20...7-30.hal
File Size:3 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: my-mill_20...7-30.ini
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2017 23:08 #96866 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Laser engraving with LCNC

From what I have read to date confuses me as to whether I should connect it to the Z axis or try switching through spindle. I attach my current hal and ini file, as you will see I use the fourth axis but still have available pins to chose from.

I would suggest using a G-code analogue output and M67.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gcode/m-code.html#mcode:m67

I am perturbed by the absence of any sort of laser safety shielding.

More
02 Aug 2017 08:49 #96885 by grump
Replied by grump on topic Laser engraving with LCNC

I am perturbed by the absence of any sort of laser safety shielding.

Hopefully the supplied safety glasses are enough, this thing barely replaces a pencil in fact I can cut deeper and neater with a pencil but I can't draw like this does.

Thanks for the reply I'll have a look at the link.

More
02 Aug 2017 11:46 #96897 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Laser engraving with LCNC

Hopefully the supplied safety glasses are enough, this thing barely replaces a pencil in fact I can cut deeper and neater with a pencil but I can't draw like this does.

And being stabbed in the eye with a pencil isn't great either.

More
02 Aug 2017 14:57 #96918 by grump
Replied by grump on topic Laser engraving with LCNC

And being stabbed in the eye with a pencil isn't great either.

So that's what the glasses are for?

More
11 Mar 2018 13:58 #107219 by donwatson
Replied by donwatson on topic Laser engraving with LCNC
Hi Grump,
Did you progress any further with this idea ??
I have just purchased one of theses cheap chinese lasers and the only software I have found that works (so far) is only of use in Windows. (T2 laser)
I would like to know what all the possibilities are here with Linux. So far I have found this site that looks a source for likely information, and it was suggested that I install Wine on this computer running Linux Peppermint 8 and run T2 in wine. ??
I really would like to ditch the Windows (again) and just work with Linux.
Have you any suggestions ??
take care
Don W
PS Hello again

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds