Two projects under way

More
25 Mar 2015 03:12 #57161 by lakeweb
Hi All,
My son kicked me into this, not that I've not always wanted to do machine control stuff. Here are the pages of what we are up to.

lakeweb CNC Projects

I installed the Debian release yesterday on that box, I've gotten a motor running now. I'm building mine beefcake, 20mm screws and bearings. I really want to use it for PC boards but hoping it will mill metal fairly well.

Thanks for the wonderful software, Dan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2015 01:46 #59202 by lakeweb
Replied by lakeweb on topic Two projects under way
Update, I bought an Eagle 300 with an Anilam Series 1400 controller. Hope to have this running on LinuxCNC before the year is out.

Eagle Mill

Best, Dan.

More
30 May 2015 05:48 - 30 May 2015 05:49 #59212 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Two projects under way
Hi Dan,

I converted my BP with Anilam 1100M controls a while back. The conversion was pretty straight forward. I used an Automation Direct GS2 VFD to control the spindle so I could use the built in driver for it. In case you didn't know you can get USB floppy drives...

gnipsel.com/shop/machine-shop.xhtml

JT
Last edit: 30 May 2015 05:49 by BigJohnT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lakeweb

More
30 May 2015 09:04 #59224 by lakeweb
Replied by lakeweb on topic Two projects under way
Hi JT,
Thanks! No, I didn't know, but it figures. I'm ordering this:

USB to Floppy

Makes life good.

When I convert I'll probably leave the spindle speed manual. I did mount a Delta VFD for the table mill. Did you reuse the original servo drivers? I'm ok with hardware and software, but I'm only just learning about this old mill, servos, and CNC.

Best, Dan.

More
30 May 2015 18:45 #59228 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Two projects under way
This is pretty much what I have External USB Floppy Drive

I have a Kwik Switch spindle in mine so there is no drawbar on top. This made it super easy to add an encoder to the spindle for rigid tapping. The GS2 makes it possible to control the VFD from LinuxCNC. I still have the manual speed and usually run the VFD at 1800 RPM except for tapping I run it at 900 RPM with the manual speed set to 600 RPM for a net RPM of 300.

The original axis drives on mine are +-10v velocity drives so that was easy to reuse them and control with the 7i77. I also cycle my Bijur oiler with LinuxCNC based on motion.

JT

More
30 May 2015 19:07 #59229 by LearningLinuxCNC
Looks like a nice machine. Glad you got the original controls to work for the time being.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds