open source PLC

More
05 Jun 2016 01:10 #75514 by thiagoralves
open source PLC was created by thiagoralves
Hi all,

I'm a Ph.D. student at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, and my research topic is SCADA cyber security. My goal is to find vulnerabilities in PLCs and try to fix them. However, its really hard to study something deep when you don't have the source code. Therefore, due to the lack of open source tools available in this field, I decided to create my own open source PLC. Then I realized that this could be useful for other researchers and professionals in the field, so I'm here sharing it with everyone.

The OpenPLC is a complete package with an editor and a compiler. The editor runs in Windows, Linux and MacOS and supports all the 5 IEC 61131-3 languages: ST, IL, LADDER, FBD and SFC. The compiler is responsible for getting the program written by the user and compile it to the platform in which the OpenPLC is running.

The OpenPLC currently runs on Raspberry Pi, Arduino, UniPi and also as a soft-PLC on Windows or Linux. If you guys have any of the mentioned boards laying down somewhere, it might be interesting to give the OpenPLC a try. More information can be found at the project's website: openplcproject.com

Let me know if you have any comments.

Thanks,

Thiago Alves
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT, andypugh, tommylight, Nico2017

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2016 00:13 #75948 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic open source PLC
I just read this, i missed it somehow !!
Nice to know although i do not use PLC but i have friends who do, unfortunately sometimes i have to program different types of them so it takes me a while to figure out how to.
Now this opens a new way of thinking as i would rather remove the old PLC and install a new one with OpenPLC. More wiring, but less problems from that point in time.
Thank you,
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds