Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build

More
23 Sep 2017 20:55 #99361 by rodw
rodw replied the topic: Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build

robertspark wrote: --- presume you know that the eoffset_pid was updated 8 days ago (not sure that the change was though) but it may have been a tuning / bug fix if you've been busy with life + work.

Yes, I need to catch up before going further. See my comments above as to why.
More
23 Sep 2017 22:02 #99364 by robertspark
robertspark replied the topic: Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build
Ahh.... that explains it.... (sort of)

If you update the eoffset_pid, you probably want to reset the k factor to 10000, given it's now calculating / correcting for metric conversion
// Make pid gains settings comparable for either inch or mm
// machine-unit specification. With k=10000, 1 count is scaled
// by the axis.L.eoffset-scale == kreciprocal or: 1e-4in ==.00254mm
kfactor = kfactor / (25.4 * units_per_mm);
kreciprocal = 1/((float)kfactor);
dbg_state = the_state;
is_off = !is_on; // convenience pin
the_feedback = feedback;

or comment it out..... (if you're running an imperial machine)

Is there not a flag (setting / config setting) in linuxCNC that tells the machine if it's setup as metric or imperial? given linuxcnc uses G20/G21 I presume there must be a setting somewhere, Ii.e I would have thought that the HAL file would have used this as an input to toggle the scale factor if required (25.4 or 1) to be applied.
More
23 Sep 2017 22:17 #99365 by robertspark
robertspark replied the topic: Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build
If you have the time, there is a really good explanation of PID that was done for the development of the PID algorthm library for arduino here:
brettbeauregard.com/blog/2011/04/improvi...rs-pid-introduction/

One thing I suspect that the eoffset_pid will suffer from will be jerk if the setpoint is changed during the cut.... (whilst this may be unusual it is possible if you had a PMX45XP [of like I hope to hack my PMX45] be able to control the current setting on the fly so it may allow me to lower the current at the end of the cut or in the corners where I could slow the angular velocity down and therefore have less effect of centripetal acceleration ....

This is discussed here:
brettbeauregard.com/blog/2017/06/proport...easurement-the-code/
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds