Hydraulic 6-axis Robotic Arm EMC Configuration

More
24 Aug 2011 01:20 - 25 Aug 2011 02:09 #12706 by emcYK
Hydraulics

The emc configuration is for a robotic arm that moves based on the rotation of 6 hydraulic motors.

These hydraulic motors are powered by a hydraulic circuit that contains:

*Single-displacement pump (generates the flow)

*Pressure relief valve (to maintain continuity of flow without any bursting failure)

*6 solenoid valves (for directional control of hydraulic fluid)

*6 stepper-controlled needle valves at 16GPM each (for flow control of hydraulic fluid)

Note: proportional servovalves were considered but were prohibitively expensive (cheap ones starting at 2000 dollars)

Feedback

Positioning feedback is granted through 6 incremental encoders; the resolution to work with is 10,000 pulses per revolution for the initial prototype going all the way to 5 million ppr for future development. These encoders are directly wired to the microcontroller.

Control System - Software

As far as I know, the software side of the control system requires:

*Properly written HAL file

*EMC2 program

Control System - Hardware

And the hardware side of the control system requires:

*Microcontroller with parallel port connection

*6 channels from stepper motor drivers

*6 channels from solenoid drivers

*Power supply

Advice on improvements to this overall system would be appreciated, but the major challenge is how to configure the software-related elements (emc). I have no experience writing HAL files but do know how to attain Denavit-Hartenberg Parameters and a bit of theory on how genserkins allows emc to control a 6-axis robotic arm. I think I am stuck in theoryland regarding configuration.

Thanks in advance. I greatly appreciate all help on this. Once all of this configuration gets sorted out, concise build, programming, and testing instructions are going on the Open Source Ecology wiki under "industrial robot."
Last edit: 25 Aug 2011 02:09 by emcYK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2011 13:42 #12715 by cncbasher
you will not be able to control 6 axis via the parrall port with sufficent I/0 left for limits or other switches
i suggest you concider on using either Mesa 5i20 /5i22 or similar pico products , that wil make your conversion much easier .

More
24 Aug 2011 17:34 #12718 by DonnieET
You might want to look at a variable displacement pump or add a very large oil cooler. At any rate oil flowing over needle valves spell heat.

How big this this robot going to be? If it going to be a small one look at driving it directly with the steppers. With hydraulics any way you go about it they leak. That why Hydraulics is my last choice in power systems

More
24 Aug 2011 23:59 #12722 by andypugh
Further to the discussions on IRC.

A Mesa 7i43 on the parallel port or 5i23 (or 5i20) in a PCI slot will be much easier to interface to EMC2 than a custom microcontroller interface.
Not that the microcontroller is impossible, but you are reinventing the wheel.

I am not sure that the proposed control scheme will be fast enough. I strongly suggest building a single-axis prototype, and controlling it direct from a parallel port.

First use stepconf to set up your stepper motor and the stepper driver.
Then look at the sample servo configurations to see how encoder feedback is linked to a PID component, and how the output is sent to a PWM generator (typically). However, in your case the output needs to go to the step-generator position-cmd pin.

You might need to use a HAL "abs" function on the PID output, with abs.N.out linked to stepgen.pos-cmd and with the abs.N.sign output linked to the direction solenoid.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/abs.9.html

(And, you are going to need to understand www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/hal_basic_hal.html )

HAL is "Hardware Abstraction Layer", it controls which EMC2 state values go to what hardware, optionally via modifier functions, of which "abs" is a very simple example, and stepgen a rather complicated one.

More
25 Aug 2011 00:49 - 25 Aug 2011 00:57 #12725 by btvpimill
What GPM are your valves going to be? Back in my motion base days, we replaced $8000 servo valves with $2000 prop valves. Mind you these were 80 GPM valves. The servos were shanck-pegesaus (sp?) and the props were rexroth. I would think 15 years later you could get the props for less espacially if they don't need to be that big.

Also, depending on the flow rates, you might be able to use proportional cartridge valves, much cheaper.

Btw, we had 3 axis doing average of 100 reversals per minute with the props. As it was a ride, we had 1/16 inch following limit and the machine weighed in at 20,000 pounds.

Of course you will still need the feedback, but it will be more like a servo setup to Emc. Don't forget, you can gang the cartridge valves together for higher flow. Tell us more about the system please.

Not that the microcontroller is impossible, but you are reinventing the wheel.

but Andy it's more fun this way. I almost have my card done to control 10 steppers with limit and home switches plus a few extra io for good measure. Of course Emc can only control 9 axis, but I figure I might need a slave someday too. Having said that, for me this is a fun project aimed at learning. When I am ready to convert my money makers I will be heading over to the Mesa store myself. Nothing like tried and true equipment. :)
Last edit: 25 Aug 2011 00:57 by btvpimill.

More
25 Aug 2011 02:13 #12727 by emcYK
btvpimill wrote:

What GPM are your valves going to be? Back in my motion base days, we replaced $8000 servo valves with $2000 prop valves. Mind you these were 80 GPM valves. The servos were shanck-pegesaus (sp?) and the props were rexroth. I would think 15 years later you could get the props for less espacially if they don't need to be that big.

Also, depending on the flow rates, you might be able to use proportional cartridge valves, much cheaper.

Btw, we had 3 axis doing average of 100 reversals per minute with the props. As it was a ride, we had 1/16 inch following limit and the machine weighed in at 20,000 pounds.

Of course you will still need the feedback, but it will be more like a servo setup to Emc. Don't forget, you can gang the cartridge valves together for higher flow. Tell us more about the system please.

As edited in the first post, the stepper-controlled needle valves have a 0 to 16gpm range of operation. Explain more about these proportional valves please; as far as I know, they are like solenoid valves except they have infinitely variable flow control, from zero up to a maximum. What is the price range on them as well?

More
25 Aug 2011 03:23 #12728 by btvpimill
Well I have been looking, so far I came up with maybe a hydraforce pv72-20. Maybe this will work for you. I haven't been able to find a price yet.

More
25 Aug 2011 20:44 #12733 by andypugh
An interesting idea I investigated when trying to design an actuator to reach 50mph in 0.5" and then travel at a controlled and reducing speed for a further 2" was a binary array of valves.

Each valve is twice the flow of the one next to it, and they add up to the max flow. If you have 8 of them, and connect each to one bit of a binary number, you get 256 discrete flow rates, and potentially very fast operation.

I think I am seeing proportional valves of the right sort of flow rate for £200 or thereabouts.
uk.rs-online.com/web/p/valves/7040389/

More
25 Aug 2011 20:47 #12734 by andypugh
btvpimill wrote:

Well I have been looking, so far I came up with maybe a hydraforce pv72-20. Maybe this will work for you. I haven't been able to find a price yet.

www.hydraulicspecialties.com.au/products...ucts?keyword=pv72-20
Looks like AU$700

More
26 Aug 2011 01:15 #12741 by emcYK
andypugh wrote:

An interesting idea I investigated when trying to design an actuator to reach 50mph in 0.5" and then travel at a controlled and reducing speed for a further 2" was a binary array of valves.

Each valve is twice the flow of the one next to it, and they add up to the max flow. If you have 8 of them, and connect each to one bit of a binary number, you get 256 discrete flow rates, and potentially very fast operation.

I think I am seeing proportional valves of the right sort of flow rate for £200 or thereabouts.
uk.rs-online.com/web/p/valves/7040389/

The binary array of valves does not seem optimal in this case as cost (8 valves per axis totals a lot) and rough operation (proportional valves or step motor microstepping appears to be a smoother alternative).

The link is to a solenoid valve, which does not grant infinitely variable flow control; this 3-position type of valve is designed for full forward, full reverse, and either open or closed neutral. A solenoid valve has been already selected for use in the industrial robot as to provide directional control.

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds