Dual parallel port setup/lava PCI add-in

More
01 Dec 2010 02:45 #5789 by Rturner
Hello,
I'm attempting a stepper/encoder setup which requires a secondary parallel port card... I'm having some immediate problems. What I'd like to know, before I even attempt the stepper/encoder configuration is if there are any known problems with the Lava PCI 1 port EPP card (www.lavalink.com/dev/index.php?id=69). It's installed, and I can detect an output signal when using stepconf to confirm that I'm using the correct address (0x0278). However, I need to use this card as an input for encoders. When performing simple testing, and setting the inputs on the Lava card as limit switches (to check basic input functionality) I get nothing... Again, I know that there are a lot of other questions I'll have to ask down-the-line, but I want to confirm that this card will work at all..

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2010 14:12 #5795 by andypugh
It's a bit late now, but a Mesa 7i43 ($80, 48 IO pins) is probably a better upgrade to a single p-port than a second p-port and will handle encoder counting in hardware (MHz frequencies rather than about 1-kHz for the p-port)

However, if outputs work but inputs don't, it might just be that you are wiring the switches wrongly. Are they wired between an input pin and a ground pin?
Do the pins show as permanently high, or permananently low?

Is the card set to input or output mode? (Which pins are you looking at the state of?)

You might find this rather useful:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Parallel_Port_Tester

More
01 Dec 2010 14:23 #5797 by BigJohnT
Andy,

Is there any diagrams of the proper wiring for a parallel port that you know of?

Thanks
John

More
01 Dec 2010 15:12 - 01 Dec 2010 16:47 #5806 by andypugh
Last edit: 01 Dec 2010 16:47 by BigJohnT. Reason: add url tag

More
01 Dec 2010 22:16 #5811 by Rturner
Thanks for the quick replies!

Andy:
In retrospect I probably should have opted for one of the Mesa cards, they seem very capable as well as well supported and fairly priced. I naively thought that since I have some experience setting up single parport step/dir systems that adding a second would be a no-brainer.. Who knows, I may end up going with a 7i43 in the end anyways, but not before I make a reasonable effort with what I have..

My limit switch test was this: I set the configuration to use limit switches on pins 2-5, and made a chopped-off parallel port cable (which I pin mapped with a multimeter). With the config loaded in EMC, I touched the corresponding 2-5 wires to pin 18 as well as the card shield.. With no results. I went ahead and tried out the rest of the wires just to make certain. It's my understanding that even if I have the signal inversion set incorrectly I should have seen something (either the limits would be on until touched to ground, or would turn on when touched to ground).

I'll try verifying this result this evening with the port tester program, and also post the .hal parport configuration string, since this seems to be either a configuration oversight on my part, or some sort of funkiness unique to this parport card.. However, the configuration loads without any errors. I'm not sure if this is applicable or not, since I think I read that there were some parport problems related to it, but I'm using a d510mo motherboard, and emc 2.4.5.. I'll go ahead and upgrade to 2.4.6 to see if that changes anything..

Thanks again!

More
01 Dec 2010 23:37 #5812 by andypugh
Rturner wrote:

My limit switch test was this: I set the configuration to use limit switches on pins 2-5, and made a chopped-off parallel port cable (which I pin mapped with a multimeter). With the config loaded in EMC, I touched the corresponding 2-5 wires to pin 18 as well as the card shield.. With no results.

No results in halmeter / (or Machine -> Show HAL config) or no sign of limits tripping?

Pins 2-5 are not normally inputs, it is probably worth checking with pins 1, 14, 16, 17 in case the port is not being configured for input correctly.

I'm not sure if this is applicable or not, since I think I read that there were some parport problems related to it, but I'm using a d510mo motherboard, and emc 2.4.5.. I'll go ahead and upgrade to 2.4.6 to see if that changes anything.. !

The changes were related to EPP mode capability detection, this is unrelated to your problem.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds