× Forum Header

Step Config setup questions?

More
13 Mar 2017 00:57 - 13 Mar 2017 01:01 #89497 by fmfchop
Picked up a CNC Mill. It's a Grizzly G0704 conversion. I switched out the board on it because it had the smooth stepper setup for Mach 3.

I have a C41 Variable Speed Control board, and Kelling KL-5056D controllers for X, Y, and Z.

I switched out to a CNC4PC C10 board and got rid of the smoothstepper because I would rather have LinuxCNC.

Here's what I've got wired on the C10:
___________________________________________________________________________________

UNUSED

GND
UNUSED

"DIR", C41

"PWM", C41

GND
"GND", C41

(16/14/GND ABOVE TO INPUT ON C41 BOARD)

UNUSED

"DIR-", X CONT KL-5056D

COM
UNUSED

"PUL-", X CONT KL-5056D

"DIR-", Y CONT KL-5056D

COM
UNUSED

"PUL-", Y CONT KL-5056D

"DIR-", Z CONT KL-5056D

COM
UNUSED

"PUL-", Z CONT KL-5056D

UNUSED

COM
UNUSED

UNUSED

"BLACK" ON E-STOP

5VOLT
"RED" ON E-STOP

"GND", C41

5VOLT
"5 VOLT", C41
(11, 5 VOLT ABOVE TO POWER ON C41 BOARD)

"#2 ON DB9 CONNECTOR"- RED ON X LIMIT SWITCH AT MILL

5VOLT
"#5 ON DB9 CONNECTOR"

"#3 ON DB9 CONNECTOR"- RED ON Y LIMIT SWITCH AT MILL

5VOLT
"#1 ON DB9 CONNECTOR"- BLACK X/Y/Z ON LIMIT SWITCHES

"#4 ON DB9 CONNECTOR"- RED ON Z LIMIT SWITCH AT MILL

5VOLT
"RED", ALL + ON CONT KL-5056D'S

EN
UNUSED

5VOLT
"RED", 5 VOLT A/C POWER

GND
"BLACK", GND A/C POWER
(ABOVE 5 VOLT/GND FROM A/C POWER ADAPTER)

***PIN 6 ON DB9 TO GROUND ON PWM BOARD***(AT THE MILL THIS GOES TO A SMALL TERMINAL IN THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF THE ELECTRICAL BOARD FOR THE MILL. THERE'S A SMALL "F-" NEXT TO THIS TERMINAL?***

***PIN 7 ON DB9 TO NORMALLY OPEN ON RELAY 2 OF PWM***(AT THE MILL THIS GOES TO THE TRANSFORMER INSIDE THE ELECTRICAL BOX ON THE MILL!!)***

_________________________________________________________________________________________

So I need to know is this wiring setup should work ok?

And if so, I need to go through the step config wizard.

I've figured out that my driver timing settings are:

Step Time- 1200NS
Step Space- 1200NS
Direction Hold- 5000NS
Direction Setup- 5000NS

I'm assuming that I would select single paralell port with this?

When I go to the PARA PORT 1 SETUP it automatically assigns "ESTOP OUT" to Pin1. Should I move the wire from Pin 10 to Pin 1 for this?

I'm new to all of this, so I apologize for the stupid questions. I just want to get this mill working finally. I'm comfortable with the operation side of this thing, but the wiring and hardware side is a bit of a loss to me.

I also just ordered a controller PC and electronics from CandCNC for my 5x10 plasma and am using LinuxCNC on that, so I'm excited to get used to this software again. A friend had it on his old mill, and I used it a bit and really liked it.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2017 01:01 by fmfchop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2017 16:31 #89597 by andypugh
If the machine was working before, then leave the wiring as it was, and configure Stepconf to suit.

More
14 Mar 2017 16:39 #89600 by fmfchop
Like I said in the original post, I swapped out the board. I took out the ESS board for the Mach 3 smooth stepper.

The wiring isn't the same and it wasn't running LinuxCNC before.

More
14 Mar 2017 16:57 #89603 by andypugh
Sorry. or some reason I thought that the smoothstepper had a parallel-port pinout.

You can wire the pins any way that makes sense to you, but it's normally easier to change things in software than hardware.
I would suggest that there is no benefit in squeezing the step timings too short, 5000nS for step and space won't cause any problems and gives a bit more margin for things like the opto-isolators in the C10.

More
14 Mar 2017 16:58 #89604 by andypugh
One thing to be careful of: The F- pin on that control board is likely to be at 100V relative to GND. The interface boards should be OK with this, but be careful with those wires.

More
14 Mar 2017 17:05 #89606 by fmfchop
Smoothstepper had a parallell port, but the benefit of this board was that it used a USB for connectivity.

I tried to replicate the wiring, but the problem was that the original builder didn't label what anything was, and the setup config for Mach 3 was with his computer. Not with my mill. :(

Do you see a problem with any of the wiring I have referenced above?

The E-Stop thing made me kinda wonder if I need to move that wire.

I'll change step space/time to 5000nS tonight when I get back to setting this up a little bit more.

More
14 Mar 2017 17:06 #89607 by fmfchop

One thing to be careful of: The F- pin on that control board is likely to be at 100V relative to GND. The interface boards should be OK with this, but be careful with those wires.

Absolutely. I've got it all buttoned back up and haven't touched them. I just opened it to see where they go because the pins 6+7 on the DB9 were out to that box, and I wasn't sure where the heck they went. haha

More
18 Mar 2017 11:32 #89851 by nicokid

Smoothstepper had a parallell port, but the benefit of this board was that it used a USB for connectivity.

Uhmm, I do not think you can use Stepconf to configure Smoothstepper with usb port. Or at least this equipment is not covered by the software.

More
18 Mar 2017 12:21 #89854 by fmfchop

Uhmm, I do not think you can use Stepconf to configure Smoothstepper with usb port. Or at least this equipment is not covered by the software.

Please slow down and reread. The mill HAD a smoothstepper when I bought it because it was running Mach.

I replaced the smoothstepper with a C10 board so I could run LinuxCNC.

More
18 Mar 2017 23:04 #89871 by nicokid
Sorry you're right, my English is a bit poor :)
I'm curious to know if these usb gadgets work with linuxcnc.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds