XFCE's Standard Dock is Suboptimal for Touchscreens

More
27 May 2018 05:11 - 27 May 2018 05:12 #111179 by BrendaEM
Hi,

I appreciate all the work that must go into making a LinuxCNC distribution. Thank you.

I've been working on mocking up a user interface for LinuxCNC. Also I've been making a little video glossing over both the .hal and .ini. I notice that XFCE has both a dock and menu bar on top.

This is not the best arrangement as it provides needless distraction to the user.

Having both a dock as well as a menu bar on top wastes precious real-estate when using touch screen monitor, or even the kind of small monitor which often adorns a CNC machine or panel display.

In LinuxCNC's future releases, perhaps one of the following changes could be made:

1.) Perhaps XFCE menubar could be integrated to the dock, through settings, and made standard on LinuxCNC releases.
2.) Perhaps the windowing could be changed to LXDE/Openbox, as a user interface option, which oddly has an even lower footprint than XFCE. Raspberi Pi uses this combination.
2.) Perhaps a Cinnamon/Debian variant could be used if its footprint is small enough.

Thank you for your consideration,
BrendaEM
Last edit: 27 May 2018 05:12 by BrendaEM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2018 06:19 #111180 by InMyDarkestHour
Right clicking on either panel, top or bottom, allows you to change it's properties or even remove it or change position.
Both panels can be removed and access to the applications menu can be accessed by right clicking on the desktop.

I have a suspicion that the way the desktop is setup to start with is a "debian default".

To remove the lower dock is a 2 second job, to move the taskbar come menu bar to the bottom is a 3 second job, no config files to mess with. There is even an "auto-hide" option for panels.

More
27 May 2018 07:32 #111181 by BrendaEM
ozzyrob, Thank you for the reply.

Though, I hope that it will be improved in a future release of LinuxCNC.
Small screens seem to be a CNC machine norm, so conserving screen area will help the user.

More
27 May 2018 08:34 #111182 by InMyDarkestHour
From most of what I've seen over the past few years a lot of machines are being built using an old 15" or 17" monitor. Don't forget if you make a touch screen interface too cluttered there's some boof heads like myself with fingers that have seen the best part of 30+ years of manual labour. :laugh:

More
27 May 2018 08:58 #111183 by tecno
Clear simple screens + TAB's to add needed functions as many of us use 15/17" monitors.

More
27 May 2018 13:37 #111187 by Todd Zuercher
If you like Cinnamon, Mate or another desktop you can install them easily using Synaptic. (I usually switch to Mate.)

More
28 May 2018 03:06 #111209 by InMyDarkestHour
LXDE was a painless thing to install via apt-get.

The dock is easier to remove than to add if it's not there, some may even like it.

More
28 May 2018 20:18 #111235 by BrendaEM
This is what I have been working on.
Do you think that this is big enough?

forum.linuxcnc.org/41-guis/34572-a-wides...e-interface?start=20

More
28 May 2018 20:21 #111236 by BrendaEM
While the dock can be eliminated, which I did (Thank You), what I was interested in: To have LinuxCNC just-work and work easily for most users, which I strongly suspect would appreciate screen real estate.

More
02 Jun 2018 20:23 #111466 by andypugh
If you want to engage the main developers you probably need to use the mailing lists.
I don't think that most of them have the time to work through the forum. (It is quite a time consuming process)

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds