Manual tool change button

More
11 Aug 2016 13:09 #78609 by Jake
Now that I have an operating machine I need to get a tool holder in it.

I have been reading through a bunch of the manual tool change documents.
There is a button on the head to change tools which requires a solenoid to be energized to change tools. Should this be something that utilizes classic ladder to support?

interlock where button does not function while spindle is running

upon button push, energize solenoid, no latching function.

Any ideas or better way to approach this?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2016 13:23 #78610 by Todd Zuercher
There generally should be a fair amount of logic involved with any automatic tool changer. It can be Hal logic, Classic Ladder logic, an external PLC, or any combination use what ever is your preference. Just do your best to keep it safe.
Most systems have a way to detect if a tool is properly inserted, or not and prevent the spindle from starting when a tool is not properly inserted, as well as drawbar open, closed, and spindle stopped. All of that should be included in your spindle logic.

More
11 Aug 2016 13:49 #78611 by Jake
Replied by Jake on topic Manual tool change button
Thanks Todd,

I was trying to get the manual tool change rolling first. I do have a carousel tool changer on the machine. Luckily my tool changer does all the work the head moves to the upper limit and then the umbrella moves in, unlock tool, move down, turn to desired tool, move up, lock tool, move back, verify changer is home. Then go back to work

Yes there are limits on the spindle both open and close that go to the controller and another open that feeds directly to the spindle. There is no other system that ensures that the tool was properly installed. Like if a tool was not picked up or not inserted there is nothing to tell it that an error occurred. I need to setup the spindle orientation also, looks like my spindle orientation is a 3 sensor hall sensor for orientation of the spindle.

Would HAL component or classic ladder be better for the manual tool change portion?

Thanks again!

More
11 Aug 2016 15:32 #78625 by Todd Zuercher
The ATC spindles I've worked with (HSK 63F from various manufacturers) usually have two or three proximity sensors in them that are used to detect the tool clamping state. Our HSD spindles have 3 (two of them are wired in series). Any way though some combination of sensing all the switches the control can tell if the spindle clamp is open, closed, and if a tool holder is properly seated and clamped. It the clamp is closed and the tool holder is not in at all or not properly seated, alarms are set and the spindle won't start. (Usually is a couple pages of ladder logic devoted to it. all.) I've never set up the logic for one in Linuxcnc, but I have spent a lot of time looking at the logic trouble shooting and adjusting the spindle clamping sensors on several Fanuc controls, (very finicky twiddly business getting them set just right on this HSK stuff)

More
11 Aug 2016 17:31 #78633 by Jake

The ATC spindles I've worked with (HSK 63F from various manufacturers) usually have two or three proximity sensors in them that are used to detect the tool clamping state. Our HSD spindles have 3 (two of them are wired in series). Any way though some combination of sensing all the switches the control can tell if the spindle clamp is open, closed, and if a tool holder is properly seated and clamped. It the clamp is closed and the tool holder is not in at all or not properly seated, alarms are set and the spindle won't start. (Usually is a couple pages of ladder logic devoted to it. all.) I've never set up the logic for one in Linuxcnc, but I have spent a lot of time looking at the logic trouble shooting and adjusting the spindle clamping sensors on several Fanuc controls, (very finicky twiddly business getting them set just right on this HSK stuff)

Now that you mention that, it may utilize the hall switches to detect if the tool is properly clamped. I will have to see what the signals do once I can get that solenoid to energize.

I need to figure out how to setup classic ladder, and get rolling on it.

Do you know if there are any classic ladder examples of the tool changer or manual tool change ladder out there ?

Thanks!

More
18 Aug 2016 15:23 #79008 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Manual tool change button

interlock where button does not function while spindle is running

I am way behind on the forum, and only just saw this.

I have just such an interlock on my milling machine. I will try to remember to find the HAL code when I get home.

I think I just used the HAL "near" component and an and2 component . I added the elaboration of only illuminating the button when the spindle was stopped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake

More
18 Aug 2016 22:10 #79024 by Jake
Thanks Andy

I'll check that out. I have a bunch to do to get this and the tool changer rolling. I have motion out of it now and it ran axis splash!

I need to figure out classic ladder, and get it going to. My Z just needs to go to the Z+ limit and the changer does the rest of the work.

If I can at least be able to change tools with the button on the head I'll be able to get a bit further. I have locked and UN locked limit switches, I don't know if my spindle hall sensors need to be used to interface the manual portion also.

We will see

More
22 Aug 2016 16:59 #79265 by Jake
A little more investigation on the control logic, it appears that the hall switch on the spindle feeds directly to the spindle drive. Sooo It appears that I do not need to handle that portion at all. I have a spindle orient input and a spindle orient complete output. I am thinking that the controls will request a spindle orient, the spindle drive does all the work from that point. Then tells the controller that it has completed the spindle orient. If it does work the way I am thinking that will greatly simplify the process.

More
22 Aug 2016 17:50 #79268 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Manual tool change button
Sounds almost boringly easy :-)

More
22 Aug 2016 20:26 #79276 by Jake
Ill take any easy spot that I can! I may try it tonight and see if I can get it to orient like that.

On the manual changing
I see the HAL examples for loading the manual tool change in stepconf wizard, but since I have the PPMC how do you load the component or approach building it?

This is kinda my line of thinking

Disable tool change button if spindle enable is true
Upon button press, make SSR relay true to open solenoid for tool unlock (also need to debounce switch)
If I have an extra SSR I will Estop the spindle drive upon button push also.

The Estop pin on the Spindle and servos are all connected to the Estop SSR on the PPMC. I will hopefully add another as a Spindle movement block during tool changes both manually and through the tool changer.

Would it be easier just to make this a HAL component or utilize classic ladder?

It looks like the two limit swtiches are the only thing that ensure that the tool is properly loaded in the spindle. Nothing I can find indicates that the mag switches on the spindle have anything to do with tool position indication.

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds