Is a Y axis possible on a lathe settup?

More
07 Jan 2018 12:53 #104107 by Ross77
Hello, Im trying to implement a y axis for sloting and drilling holes. At the moment its just a dremmel on a linear stage held in the QCTP. did some test cuts yesterday and works fine for the plastics that im using.

Is there an easy way to add the yaxis or will the limitation of x,z in lathe mode mean a starting again with a custom setup.

for a moment i would be happy to just controll it with the MDI line by line. not worried about it showing on the back polt.

Currently using the parrellell port with a BOB if it there is quick fix. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2018 12:34 #104158 by BigJohnT
If your using Axis all lathe mode does is change the display, so turn that off and you can see the back plot.

JT

More
09 Jan 2018 23:07 #104219 by Ross77
Thanks, so whats the best way to add the extra axis? the step gen for a lathe only allows x and z axis?

Cheers

More
10 Jan 2018 02:31 #104224 by cmorley
There is no easy way to add axis other then hand editing.
If you used stepconf you could build an XYZ config and then go back and add the couple things in the INI that makes it a lathe config (compare to the lathe config you have)

You probably want to have both configs anyways unless you will always use the y axis.

Chris M

More
11 Jan 2018 22:36 #104313 by Ross77
Thanks I will have a go.and post up if I get stuck.

Am i using the right terminology? think im actually after a turning center with milling capability, has that not been covered or atempted or am i not searching for the right thing?

Thanks

More
08 Feb 2018 16:42 #105587 by andypugh
It's only a Y axis if it is perpendicular to X and Z.
But in theory you can move it using any G-code axis latter. (But Y is probably easiest). The only difficulty would be if you also desire a preview.

More
08 Feb 2018 22:12 #105608 by Ross77
Y axis it is then. Is that difficult for preview or impossible?

More
26 Feb 2018 20:30 #106558 by andypugh
Probably impossible on a Lathe setup. You might be able to see things in a mill style display.

More
27 Feb 2018 21:33 #106670 by Ross77
Next question then.....is it possible to change displays by gcode whilst a program is running?

More
27 Feb 2018 21:55 #106674 by andypugh

Next question then.....is it possible to change displays by gcode whilst a program is running?

No. G-code knows nothing about displays. In fact when G-code was invented there were no displays.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds