Fried my THCAD-10

More
26 Mar 2018 08:16 #107893 by rodw
Fried my THCAD-10 was created by rodw
I had a wiring fault that seems it put raw arc voltage on the THCAD-10 inputs and it may have broken something. The instructions say it can handle 500 volts indefinitely. I've never seen my plasma put out more than about 150 volts so it should have survived. I've got it set to 1/32 mode.

So I could do some diagnostics, I connected a 96 volt power supply to the internal plasma voltage divider and I'm getting 2.9 volts at the high voltage inputs which is what I expected. I see the flashing LED increase frequency but I'm not seeing any real change on the frequency outputs when I check it with my multimeter, I get 22-26 Khz which is nowhere near within the expected range.

I'll see if I can get my USB oscilloscope set up tomorrow in case my multimeter is faulty as its nothing special.

What worries me, I'm not seeing any rawcounts happening in the 7i76e encoder input using halshow. Could my 7i76e be damaged?

How can I test the thcad and the 7i76e encoder?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2018 15:30 - 26 Mar 2018 20:19 #107905 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Fried my THCAD-10
Even a temporary 1000 V input will not damage the THCAD-10, It sounds more likely that some kind of
fault generated excess voltage on the low voltage (un-isolated) side of the THCAD.

Probably the easiest way to check the 7I76E encoder inputs is to jumper the 7I76e encoder for TTL mode, "watch" the encoder A,B,Index inputs and ground them (TB3 pins 7,10,13) one at a time (to TB3.9) and see if the hal pin changes

You you probably need a 'scope to check that the THCAD outputs have proper voltage swing and frequency,
Last edit: 26 Mar 2018 20:19 by PCW.

More
26 Mar 2018 20:17 #107914 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Fried my THCAD-10
Rod

And I thought that I had a bad day on Saturday when I killed the Z axis driver on my table. So no new arc voltage testing got done.

Your plasma will put out up to about 340dc (240VAC*1.414=339.6vdc), it only very briefly does this normally on arc starting.

John

More
26 Mar 2018 20:49 #107920 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Fried my THCAD-10
Thanks Peter (and John for consoling me too). I have been so careful with all of the electronics. I found some loose solder slag in one of the backshells I have opened too many times that I care to remember. chasing down faults due to poor plasma documentation. I think that is what caused the fault.

I'll do some tests today and report back.

More
26 Mar 2018 23:21 #107930 by rodw
Help me out here. Should I connect the Oscilloscope ground to the F- or -5V pin on the THCAD?

This does not look right.

This is with the probe attached to F+ and F- which I disconnected at the 7i76e end so I could hook a probe on easily.
I also tried F+ and -5V but it made no difference. The reading was still random as shown.
I'm assuming I should be seeing a sine or square wave.
I've still to test the 7i76e encoder.
Attachments:

More
26 Mar 2018 23:28 - 26 Mar 2018 23:28 #107931 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Fried my THCAD-10
You should connect your scope ground to the THCAD GND pin (P1 pin 6)
You should expect a ~ 3V square wave from the F+ and F- pins (in the DIV/32 mode)
Last edit: 26 Mar 2018 23:28 by PCW.

More
26 Mar 2018 23:49 #107933 by rodw

You should connect your scope ground to the THCAD GND pin (P1 pin 6)
You should expect a ~ 3V square wave from the F+ and F- pins (in the DIV/32 mode)

Thanks Peter. Thats what I thought after I did these screen dumps. I tried it that way and did not go outside the 50 mV range. The board must be cactus. I'll go and grab another screen dump to be sure. Still need to test the encoder but I understand your instructions for that one.

More
27 Mar 2018 01:01 #107936 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Fried my THCAD-10
One more detail, the plasma cutters we use on our cnc machines have a high voltage or high voltage/high frequency start and will put an end to anything connected to it in certain circumstances like if the internal capacitor on the plasma is disconnected ( in your case did not happen as you would see a lot of smoke from the plasma as it would fry the rectifier instantly ), so that leaves the possibility of having one of the wires to close to the high voltage line inside the plasma cutter.
They put out anything from 3000 to 20000 volts at low current for starting the arc, and that can easily cross to nearby wires, especially if the torch is fired far from the material or ground clamp. That voltage will be active until it makes contact with the material to be able to transfer to low voltage/ high current for cutting.
Proper grounding if fundamental for plasma cutter proper operation.

More
27 Mar 2018 01:10 #107938 by rodw
Tommy, thanks, but my torch is a blow back start and is designed for CNC application so the high frequency start does not exist.
(internally in the torch, the arc is created by a short between +ve and -ve electrodes, then air pressure opens up the shorted electrodes and the arc transfers to the material). Everything on the machine is grounded properly back to a star ground and the plasma frame is earthed to an earth rod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Mar 2018 23:38 #108012 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Fried my THCAD-10

Tommy, thanks, but my torch is a blow back start and is designed for CNC application so the high frequency start does not exist.
Everything on the machine is grounded properly back to a star ground and the plasma frame is earthed to an earth rod.

Nice.
It has become a habit over time to mention grounding whenever plasma is mentioned, it is astonishing how many people chose to ignore proper grounding.
What is the outcome of the THCAD ?

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.416 seconds