esab ultrarex retro fit plasma / flame cutter

More
11 Jan 2012 18:11 #16604 by jd896
hi again im wanting to retro fit the above machine and think it should go all smoothly (the control has died buy the way just seams sensible to upgrade and not just replace )

was going to use a 5I20 with 7I33TA and 7I37TA (the servo dirves are built in the head and on the gantry motors)

and aslo would like to upgrade too voltage sensed hight control the machine currently has a capacitance sensed hight control and is driven with a servo but it has no feedback ie encoder or such as the initial hight set would be for the pierce only could i not just fit a touch-off switch and then Z up for a timed bit to set pierce hight then let thc take over ?

many thanks john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2012 22:02 #16611 by jd896

to make it clearer a like to a vid of the machine and current hight control setup

More
12 Jan 2012 00:20 #16629 by BigJohnT
Hello John,

How does the current control use the THC?

I'm sure you could replicate the same function in EMC.... my homemade plasma I use steppers with the THCAD card to sense torch voltage and adjust the height with the THC comp.

John

More
12 Jan 2012 00:53 #16631 by jd896
hi john

as far as the electronic side of it im not sure as you see in the video it just seams to sense when near and object and this sensing range is on a pot of the control screen im not sure how i could interface this to emc however i would like to upgrade to voltage based control as it makes for a better square cut but would it mean making a new z axis or at least making it stepper drive.

or would i say get away with the fitting of a probe to touch off and then almost guess as too how far to back off for the pierce and then switch to the volage reading as it would normally

is there an axis interface already set up for plasma john ? ie with an input box for the requested cutting volts, pierce delay time and pierce hight settings ?

thanks john

More
12 Jan 2012 01:17 #16632 by BigJohnT
Hi John,

This is everything about my plasma that I have documented to date.

gnipsel.com/shop/plasma/plasma.xhtml

I think I fixed one thing but have not uploaded it... If your Z is servo you should not have to change to stepper just add an encoder so EMC can control it. I use a floating head with a micro switch and it is quite accurate for pre-positioning the torch for pierce. Once the arc has started (Hypertherm has an arc ok output) I start the cut and start using voltage feedback to control the Z height.

John

More
12 Jan 2012 20:21 #16679 by jd896
any encoder supplers you would reccomend?

More
12 Jan 2012 23:10 #16694 by PCW
Not an encoder recommendation but I would be sure to get a
encoder with differential outputs (line driver or RS-422 type)
as the encoder is in a electrically noisy location

More
12 Jan 2012 23:31 - 12 Jan 2012 23:41 #16697 by BigJohnT
I've used Automation Direct in the past for encoders and they can be either open collector or line driver for the most part and Peter might know what open collector ranslates to :)

www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/encoderselect.pdf

John
Last edit: 12 Jan 2012 23:41 by BigJohnT.

More
13 Jan 2012 11:36 #16714 by andypugh
jd896 wrote:

the machine currently has a capacitance sensed hight control and is driven with a servo but it has no feedback ie encoder or such

Ah, but, it does have feedback, it has the torch voltage...
In theory you can close the servo loop on arc voltage, no need for an encoder.

More
13 Jan 2012 12:06 #16715 by BigJohnT
andypugh wrote:

jd896 wrote:

the machine currently has a capacitance sensed hight control and is driven with a servo but it has no feedback ie encoder or such

Ah, but, it does have feedback, it has the torch voltage...
In theory you can close the servo loop on arc voltage, no need for an encoder.

If you all ready have capacitance sensed height control would it not be better to use that knowing that the voltage will vary with speed (like slowing down for corners) providing it is accurate enough. I guess the problem still is how do you Z up to clearance height with a servo drive with no feedback. Seems odd that a servo does not have some sort of feed back to the THC unit now...

John

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds