Elumatec SBZ 130/01 retrofit

More
05 Nov 2016 01:42 - 03 Oct 2019 23:12 #82472 by tommylight
Added a test config i was using, might be useful to someone as it uses SSI absolute serial encoders. Will upload the finished config if i can find it.

I have been tasked to retrofit a 1994 Elumatec SBZ 130/01 with a 8 tool tool-changer and 6450mm long X axis, it uses Ferrocontrol everything except the PC that was Siemens. The HDD failed.
Here is a list of things factory fitted:
PC old Siemens with a 120 MB hard drive (yes 120 mega bytes) serial connected to the controls consisting of
MAG6 rack
ORE512 motion controller connected to PC via serial mentioned above
2 different (one GFR i think) cards that control servo drives, one is single channel controlling the long axis servo drive, the second controls other 3 axis and the spindle servo drives.
IN32 and OUT32 are self explanatory , one is 32 inputs, the second 32 outputs.
The DC servo drives are 01S on 4 axes ( the long X and the short X and Y and Z)
No type or model on the spindle servo drive, but it is a AC servo drive
Tested everything and all is good and working, after hunting a faulty e-stop switch, i did disconnect the enable connectors and tested movement on the spindle and all 3 short axis, i could not risk moving the long X axis as it has some hefty brakes on it controlled by air pressure and i had no compressed air at that site.
Now some thoughts:
What are the chances of controlling that with Linuxcnc through serial?
It has Serial Absolute Encoders on all axis, is there anything i can use for them by MESA or else?
If i remember correctly, Tod mentioned using offsets for 2 of the same axis, will ask later for that.
I asked a friend in Austria to order a hefty amount of MESA cards from eusurplus.com as it is closer and faster. Total amount over 1800 Euros. Emcpt, if you read this, can you please make sure to source 2 or 3 items on that list that are not in stock, if you do not get them by the time you get the payment. Thank you in advance.
3Am here, off to bed.
Thank you all,
Tom
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Oct 2019 23:12 by tommylight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2016 11:45 #82487 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Elumatec SBZ 130/01 retrofit
I just ordered (and was shipped from USA) a large order from Mesa to re-stock material, and I was checking my store and I do not have a recent order > 1500€, so I presume yours is not listed.

Place your order so that I can check if I will get the hardware that you need for your retrofit.
X=6450mm (this does not fit my workshop) !

More
05 Nov 2016 11:59 #82488 by tommylight
Next week, i asked a friend to order it from Austria. I am in Kosovo and it is not listed as a shipping destination.
Thank you for a prompt reply.

More
05 Nov 2016 12:02 #82489 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Elumatec SBZ 130/01 retrofit
I can try and see if I can ship to Kosovo. Probably only FedEx, and probably expensive. Let me know if I should try to get a quote.

More
05 Nov 2016 12:32 #82492 by tommylight
Even if it gets to Kosovo, customs will keep it for at least a month, then charge extreme amounts for all kinds of ...........nevermind. i payed 486 euros of customs for 560 euro value in realy small electronics. That is why i order everything through friends in Germany and Austria. No stress.

More
06 Nov 2016 13:10 #82508 by tommylight
Here are some pictures of the machine, it is over 7 meters long and weighs in at 5 tons.

More
07 Nov 2016 12:29 #82537 by andypugh

What are the chances of controlling that with Linuxcnc through serial?

The chances are not great, to be honest, and not without work. It is probably more practical to sell the IO boards and use Pico / General Mechatronics / Mesa equivalents. It would probably be possible to write a driver for the existing IO boards, but is it worth the trouble?

It has Serial Absolute Encoders on all axis, is there anything i can use for them by MESA or else?

What protocol do they use? There is an absolute encoder module for Mesa if they are BiSS, SSI or Fanuc
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/hostmot2.9.html#Synchronous Serial Interface (SSI)

More
07 Nov 2016 13:09 #82541 by tommylight
Andy, thank you.
I have already given up on the serial port, just needed to confirm that it is not worth waisting time on it.
For encoders i could not find any info as they are made in 1994, made by ferrocontrol.
They have 2 input 2 output and a direction wires and power. That does not help at all as it can be any of the protocols used at that time.
I am wiling to order a mesa card and test if i can read them. What card?
I already ordered a 7i74, two 7i77, and a lot of other mesa hardware. Order should be placed today or tomorrow at eusurplus.com by a friend of mine in Austria.
Thank you for your never ending support.

More
07 Nov 2016 16:49 #82551 by andypugh
It appears to be Fieldbus (which is, unfortunately, a little bit vague)
servo-repair.com/documents/ferrorcontrol...eference_10-98_E.pdf

It might be worth contacting General Mechatronics, they might have heard of ferrocontrol and know what version of Fieldbus they use.

More
08 Nov 2016 02:35 #82578 by tommylight
I already went over that document, it does mention SSI serial absolute encoders, but nothing more in common with the machine i am working on. Then again i will just oder an SSI card and do some testing to see if i can get any reading from them. I also ordered incremental encoder in case all else fails, will use a 5i25 or 6i25 with a 7i77 and 7i70/7i71 for more inputs and outputs. If i am not mistaken that would also require an 7i74 so i did oder one.
The big problem will be figuring out the order of things for doing toolchanges. Oh goodie, more food for thought.
Hopefully by the end of next week i will get the ordered parts so i can start installing and testing.
Thank you very much, Andy

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds