Retrofiting a Paxton/Paterson Training Center Mill.

More
14 May 2017 04:41 - 20 May 2017 21:30 #93176 by Livoniany
Hello,
I have a Paxton/Paterson cnc.
My goal is to turn it into a reliable cnc machine at an affordable price. It did not come with any software. The spindle turns and the fan on the brain box spins. The steppes on the x,y,z axis get warm. I would appreciate help with picking the correct board and internals to get this machine up and running.

Paxton Patterson mill front
Inside the brain box

Thanks for your help.
Last edit: 20 May 2017 21:30 by andypugh. Reason: Couldn't make the image links work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2017 04:05 #93208 by cmorley
looks like you got gecko stepper drives - so linuxcnc can control those -either using the parallel port or using a mesa card.

Depends on how much money you wish to spend -
rapid speed on a machine that small is not very important. (mesa will give you higher rapid possibility)

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Livoniany

More
20 May 2017 21:33 #93410 by andypugh
It should be possible to fit a MiniITX PC motherboard where the current circuit board is and keep the stepper drivers.
It would probably be wise to add a breakout box to condition the switches etc. Do you know what else the current PCB controls other than the Gecko stepper drives?

More
22 May 2017 22:37 #93511 by Livoniany
Thanks for replying I and a friend tested the steppers drivers and steppers with an Arduino and they worked. Money is an object.

More
22 May 2017 22:44 - 22 May 2017 23:05 #93512 by andypugh
Well, you can't run LinuxCNC on an Arduino. It can run on a Raspberry Pi, but I don't think anyone is claiming it runs well. Machinekit have good results with the Beagle Bone, but then _they_ seem to need a separate PC for the GUI, because the BB has rubbish graphics. At that point, you might as well use the PC in my opinion (My opinion is much at odds with that of Machinekit).

I did a budget build first time round, but then found myself re-prioritising my hobby-spending :-)

What is your budget?
Last edit: 22 May 2017 23:05 by andypugh.

More
22 May 2017 23:46 #93513 by Livoniany
Hello The Arduino was just for testing. I got a Changzou Longs Motor co break out board. www.flickr.com/photos/32792615@N05/34445...n/dateposted-friend/ I bought the board from a member at my makerspace. He is using the breakout board to run the cnc router which uses mach 3.I am running Linux cnc on a Dell Optiplex Gx620.

More
23 May 2017 10:05 #93521 by Livoniany
My friend and I ran some tests yesterday with a volt meter and scope.
We found
The direction pin coming out of the parallel port is outputting 0 to 3.3 volts when jogged left or right, but the direction pin on the break outboard is out putting .3 and .9 volts. The duty cycle on the pules pin is less the 10%. I do not know if that is normal.

More
23 May 2017 12:15 #93524 by andypugh

The direction pin coming out of the parallel port is outputting 0 to 3.3 volts when jogged left or right, but the direction pin on the break outboard is out putting .3 and .9 volts. The duty cycle on the pules pin is less the 10%. I do not know if that is normal.

A low duty cycle is normal, you will get pulses of the length specified as a parameter to the stepgen in the HAL file (possibly via an INI file lookup).

0.9 volts seems too low. Is that as measured with a scope or with the multimeter?

More
23 May 2017 12:37 #93529 by rodw
I've got one of those boards and managed to get it going. There is quite a good schematic PDF on the forum somewhere search for the name on the board. I would start by getting your head around the input and output pins before diving into the stepper controls. Also, they require active low signals which means the wiring is quite different to an Arduino. If you download a longs motor stepper driver manual, it may help your understanding with a schematic.

More
24 May 2017 00:16 #93575 by Livoniany
I misquoted my friend the breakout board is 1.9 volts not 9. it was measured with both a multi-meter and a scope.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds