AUERBACH FUW625 Retrofit with 7i76e

More
03 Jul 2018 21:55 - 02 Mar 2021 21:24 #113350 by JimPanski
Hi guys,

first post, so lets go..
Since end of 2017 i am working on this linuxcnc conversion to bring the 1996 FUW625 mill back to life.
I got this machine equipped with a Siemens FM-NC and many missing or defective parts - so i went through the retrofit with Mesa 7i76e.

So far i managed some (for me) tricky things like spindle gearchange, scaling encoder and things to be related with the classicladder plc.
In the meantime all the basic things are working. (Thanks to you guys!) But there are still many details with will have to be done.
Therefore i opened this thread to sort those things out wich i cant get rid of it alone.

--At the moment i wonder how i can attach the Siemens machine control panel in the best way to my lcnc system.
The panel is something like this:
If there is anyone who has ideas, i can post more details of it. no problem.

--Also i have seen there is a function message.so far i know how to output a message but how do i interrupt a running program the best way for reasons like overtemperature warnings or other failures?

--Third issue at the moment is the encoder input for spindle speed. i use the ic-haus chip IC-NV for conncting the ERN1381 to the 7i76e.
Problem is, that the TTL signal output is very noisy and i dont know why. is there anyone who eventually uses this chip for his 1vpp encoder and can help?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards
Conny
Last edit: 02 Mar 2021 21:24 by JimPanski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2018 08:38 #113399 by tommylight
Nice panel !
I can not help much but will try:
For the panel, check the Mesa 7i73 card, it has a lot of options for connecting encoders, LCD displays, keyboards etc.
You can use several methods to stop the machine so do check the Motion section of the Linuxcnc documentation,
1 VPP encoder ??? that is strange, but might be usable. The noise issue might be from the power supply as the first thing to check, next is the cabling and shielding, and the shielded cable should be grounded only on one side, not both, usually the drive side or the electronics side.

More
07 Jul 2018 17:40 #113693 by andypugh

For the panel, check the Mesa 7i73 card, it has a lot of options for connecting encoders, LCD displays, keyboards etc..

The 7i73 also supports an 8x8 matrix keyboard for 64 keys, which is enough for that panel and also supports 4 MPG encoders.

Is that keyboard to be used for entering G-code in MDI? If so then a bit of cunning might be needed to convert HAL inputs to key-presses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
09 Jul 2018 09:33 - 09 Jul 2018 10:36 #113857 by JimPanski
hi guys,

thanks for your reply.

and the shielded cable should be grounded only on one side, not both, usually the drive side or the electronics side.

i have tested with grounded electronics and without. i got better results with grounded electronics and shield on the inner an outer cable. but the input signal on the 7i76e has still noise, so that i cant use g33 :(

for the panel thing:
when i use the 7i73 this means that i dont have to wire every single button? (i have to admit that this was my biggest fear)

the keyboard has buttens for lubing axes, open doors, choosing jogged the jogged axis and scale and switch modes (mdi/auto)
also you can start/stop spindle and program - so no gcode sending

the override knobs are atm rotary switches => i have already noticed that i have to change these to encoders for have connected it the easiest way

when i later will have the system with closed loop i thought about using a 7i92. is it possible to use this combo? i mean 7i76e+7i92+7i73?

EDIT: maybe any chance to have it connected serial?!
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jul 2018 10:36 by JimPanski. Reason: added photos

More
09 Jul 2018 10:49 #113864 by rodw
Not quite the same but I had noise issues on a 7i76e encoder input attached to a Mesa THCAD plasma arc voltage reader which I fixed with one of these on the power inlet to the control box.
www.jaycar.com.au/iec-emi-power-line-filter-6-amp/p/MS4003

More
09 Jul 2018 14:46 #113879 by andypugh

when i later will have the system with closed loop i thought about using a 7i92. is it possible to use this combo? i mean 7i76e+7i92+7i73?

I don't think that the 7i92 makes much sense if you already have a 7i76E. What do you intend to attach to the 7i92?

More
10 Jul 2018 12:10 - 10 Jul 2018 12:12 #113937 by JimPanski
my intend was the usage of stepgens for axis X,Y,Z and (future) A with 7i76e and for the closed loop i planned to use 7i92 for wiring the encoders. or is there maybe a better way?
Last edit: 10 Jul 2018 12:12 by JimPanski.

More
10 Jul 2018 12:36 #113940 by andypugh

my intend was the usage of stepgens for axis X,Y,Z and (future) A with 7i76e and for the closed loop i planned to use 7i92 for wiring the encoders. or is there maybe a better way?

The 7i76E has a number of expansion connectors, PCW normally recommends the 7i85S for adding encoders to a stepper system:
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...oduct&product_id=125

It's cheaper and doesn't require a second ethernet port.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimPanski

More
24 Jul 2018 11:40 #114743 by JimPanski
Hi!

just ordered the 7i85S and could remind me that PCW already told me which card makes sense.now i see that i had messed up with those numbers :S

For attaching the 7i85S to my 7i76e i am not sure if i am right. i think i need something like this..

Is that right? Do i need it with a male or female DB25 connector?

Are there already bitfiles available for that combo or will i have to ask PCW?

Regarding that panel problem: does anybody see a chance to have it connected serial?

By the way: i might have found the issue with my spindle encoder. with the oscilloscope attached i could see that there is not really a sin/cos signal there. you can see that the level of the signal is about 0.1vpp which means its level is at the same like the noise. so i think i have a defective ERN encoder. the next step is to test my ic-nv cuircuit with a functional encoder and the spindle motor will get somting i can directly use with TTL signal on the 7i76e.

thank you for your patience!

More
24 Jul 2018 13:43 #114749 by andypugh
I couldn't remember which way the connectors go, but this Youtube video seems to be pretty clearly male pins in the connecting cable:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds