fusion360 to Linuxcnc CAM problem - multiple tools - manual changing

More
09 Jan 2019 09:49 #123820 by Hakan
I would think that to use one file with several tools requires the tools to be already measured and in the tool table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gzcwnk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2019 16:34 #123836 by andypugh

I would think that to use one file with several tools requires the tools to be already measured and in the tool table.

It is possible to configure LinuxCNC such that the M6 command performs an automated tool length measurement.

But, typically, it is simpler to run each tool as a separate file, after manually changing the tool and setting the tool length, if the machine does not have repeatable-length tooling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gzcwnk

More
09 Jan 2019 19:23 #123856 by gzcwnk
As the tool is er20 collet type that will change every time, can a tool table deal with that?

More
09 Jan 2019 19:44 #123859 by andypugh

As the tool is er20 collet type that will change every time, can a tool table deal with that?

No.

So you need to run one program per tool, then fit the tool and touch-off before running each file.

A tool-length sensing switch would be a good investment.

More
09 Jan 2019 19:58 #123863 by gzcwnk
If that's another name for a touch plate, I have one of these but not fitted it yet, hopefully this weekend.

More
09 Jan 2019 20:04 #123864 by andypugh
Touch plates tend to rely on tool conductivity.
The ones based on an inverted kinematic probe are likely to be more reliable.

I do have a design in mind for a very easy-to-make kinematic probe. Hopefully I will get round to making and documenting it some time this decade...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel

More
14 Jan 2019 21:21 #124186 by gzcwnk
I am a bit confused here. I have a work mate who runs Linuxcnc. He does manual tool changes inside the single file but his CAM software is something called Autodesk Eagle PCB software. So it appears Linuxcnc can handle manual tool changing fine, the problem is the Fusion360 CAM software cant do it then?

More
14 Jan 2019 21:32 #124187 by andypugh
It is trivial to do manual tool changes with LinuxCNC and with Fusion.

What is less trivial is getting the new tool inserted to the depth that matches the tool table.

On my milling machine and lathe I have fixed-length tooling, and tool changes are very easy.

However, I still quite often run a file-per-tool system anyway, sometimes it is just easier to swap the part than the tool.

What we are discussing here is how to deal with machines where you don't have fixed-length tools. The issue is that during a manual tool change LinuxCNC is still in auto mode, so you can't jog it or edit the tool table.

More
14 Jan 2019 21:51 #124190 by gzcwnk
Yet this is what I am told it can do, maybe I am getting confused or missing or assuming something important.

Still googling and I came across this,

forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configura...h-touch-off?start=90

More
15 Jan 2019 16:34 #124242 by andypugh
Yes if you have a tool length sensor then LinuxCNC can automatically measure the tool length (still all in auto mode, you see)

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds