LinuxCNC is Poorly Documented

More
10 Jul 2018 12:33 #113939 by andypugh
If you click the blue page picture rather than the (i) then you get it.

forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachme...uction-ACrewrite.pdf

One niggle: I don't like "primarily intended for the control of a Computer Numerically
Controlled (CNC) mill." It really is intended to control anything that needs controlling.
More
10 Jul 2018 13:09 #113941 by BigJohnT
Thanks, I keep forgetting to click on the blue page...

I agree LinuxCNC can control the world...

JT
More
11 Jul 2018 00:00 - 11 Jul 2018 00:00 #113986 by curtisa

andypugh wrote: One niggle: I don't like "primarily intended for the control of a Computer Numerically
Controlled (CNC) mill." It really is intended to control anything that needs controlling.

I guess my thought was that the CNC mill probably accounts for the biggest userbase of LinuxCNC, but rewording to make it align with the 'anything is controllable' philosophy is easily done.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2018 00:00 by curtisa.
More
11 Jul 2018 01:16 #113989 by AnnoyingMutt

BigJohnT wrote: Thanks, I keep forgetting to click on the blue page...

I agree LinuxCNC can control the world...

JT

Is that all, just the world ?

I was hoping to reach out & beyond the multiverse and inter-dimensional realms.
More
11 Jul 2018 21:04 - 11 Jul 2018 21:07 #114028 by curtisa
I've modified the paragraph in question thusly:

LinuxCNC is a suite of highly-customisable applications for the control of a Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) mills and lathes, 3D printers, robots, laser cutters, plasma cutters and other automated devices. It is capable of providing coordinated control of up to 9 axes of movement.

I've registered over at Github and will submit my changes to the original asciidoc in the next day or two for cosideration by the wider development team. Hopefully I can make a few more contributions to some of the other docs :)
Last edit: 11 Jul 2018 21:07 by curtisa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, kcj
More
12 Jul 2018 04:37 #114042 by curtisa
I've just submitted a pull request on my proposed changes to the User Intro page. Have at it, devs!

Just thinking out loud, is there any interest in me cataloging what I feel are issues with any of the doc pages? I probably won't be much help for the advanced technical information, but I could go through each page and look for the obvious stuff like incorrect/broken links, incomplete documentation, obsolete information, grammatical errors etc?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive s
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds