Forum search pages don't behave

More
29 May 2011 02:24 - 29 May 2011 02:25 #10141 by centaur
When I do a search of a forum and get some results, the bottom of the page indicates the number of results and there is the option of selecting other pages when there are more results than one page can hold. When I want to go to page 2 for example the resulting page is either blank or repeats the first page. What am I missing?
Thanks
Last edit: 29 May 2011 02:25 by centaur.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2011 11:56 #10150 by BigJohnT
Yep the search function is broken, use the site option with google.

text to search for site:http://www.linuxcnc.org

John

More
29 May 2011 21:55 #10170 by andypugh
A simpler solution is to use the search box on the left hand side of the screen rather than the forum search. That searches the forum too, but also the Wiki and docs.

More
06 Jul 2011 12:40 #11180 by andypugh
And another weirdness. If the search results page comes up blank, then delete the /lang,english/ (or whatever) from the end, and press enter. The page will probably then load.

More
01 Sep 2011 18:54 #12899 by Rick G
If you just start google from your browser and select a forum link you now get...

Access denied.

This is a recent change.

Rick G

More
12 Sep 2011 19:39 #13134 by RayJr
I have seen similar issues when searching.
I found that when you want to open one of the search results, right click, and open to a new tab or window, and it displays OK.

Still, it is very annoying.

Ray

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it"

Albert Einstein

More
30 Sep 2011 14:48 #13556 by ArcEye
This problem seems to have worsened

If you use google (from forum pages or external) Yahoo, Alta Vista or any other engine, any hit which links to the forum rather than the docs etc on the main linuxorg.com site, is redirected to

softstore4business.net/ which sells windoze software. (Sounds like a candidate for a DOS attack.)

Makes it almost impossible to search the forum, particularly infuriating when you know the info you want was posted, but cannot be sure if it was under the obvious subject heading or was an off topic mention on another thread.

Needs to be sorted or we will lose members and be condemned to the same questions over and over, because no-one can find the answer themselves, even if they look.

More
30 Sep 2011 17:35 #13565 by BigJohnT
I just did a google search for "emc Forum search pages don't behave" and this link showed up. I know from the past attack that the cashe has not cleared for all the searches yet. If this is new what do you suggest to do about it?

John

More
01 Oct 2011 06:21 #13573 by ArcEye
Hi John

Thing is I won't want to search for that topic, because it is there in front of me on the forum page.

If you search for 'axis g code window' as I was, using the built in google, every link to the forum goes to softstore4business.net/
whether the title is hacked or appears normal.

I eventually found what I wanted when I remembered that a particular member had posted and searched his forum entries.

I think the long term answer is to either repair the internal forum search mechanism or dump Kunena and switch to something that actually works properly.

We have relied for too long upon Google for something that should be possible through the forum and now that google and apparantly the other search engines (which are probably lazy and just harvest google) are well and truly hacked, we have nothing.

I appreciate that it will be a lot of work either way, but you don't get these problems on other forums, with other hosting engines.

regards

More
01 Oct 2011 11:42 #13580 by BigJohnT
Alex is working on upgrading Joomla and Kunena but that still won't fix google. Hopefully upgrading Joomla will prevent further hacks into EMC. If it was left up to the core developers there would not even be a forum...

John

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds