ANYONE USING LINUXCNC EMC2 WITH VCARVE PRO?

More
21 Jul 2011 22:14 #11719 by FERGOBOY
HI I'VE JUST PURCHASED A SECOND HAND GERBER ROUTER THAT'S BEEN CHANGED OVER TO LINUX CNC EMC2 MACHINE CONTROL SOFTWARE AND HAVE RECENTLY DOWNLOADED VCARVE PRO TRIAL SOFTWARE. THIS STUFF IS ALL NEW FOR ME AND I'M RELUCTANT TO PURCHASE VCARVE UNLESS I'M CERTAIN IT WILL WORK WITH EMC2. SO FAR I'VE ATTEMPTED TO SEND A COUPLE OF TRIAL TEMPLATES FROM VCARVE USING GCODE.TAP (THERE IS NO EMC2 LISTED ON OUTPUT) THE GCODE CAN BE READ BY EMC2 BUT WHEN YOU GO TO CUT AN ERROR OCCURS. DOES ANYONE USE THIS OR A SIMILAR SET UP SUCCESSFULLY? THE PROBLEM COULD BE THE SOFTWARE OR MORE THAN LIKELY IT IS MY LIMITED UNDERSTANDING OF THE SOFTWARE.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2011 07:42 - 22 Jul 2011 08:00 #11725 by cncbasher
you require a post processor file for emc2 , this configures the output of vcarve to emc2 . either ask vectric support for one or try the attached
files . place them in your post processor directory of vcarve pro , i have included both a imperial and metric version .

any problems with output of vcarve pro to emc can be usualy solved easily , by editing the post processor file .
so give them a try and go from there .

but to answer your question , yes vcarve pro will output to emc2 , but in some cases hand editing of the output gcode is required to get the result you need
no software can produce gcode every time out the box , so it would be good to learn as you go .

a good book to have on your shelf is CNC Programming Handbook by Peter Smid

Welcome to the world of cnc , and all the sleepless nights

File Attachment:

File Name: emc2_vcarve.zip
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jul 2011 08:00 by cncbasher.

More
22 Jul 2011 11:11 #11726 by Rick G
Yes it does work.

If you have not already you need to tell EMC that .tap files are G-code.
In the FILTER section of your .ini file edit the XYZ Processor line.

There is line something like

PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .ngc XYZ Processor

Change it to

PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .tap, .ngc XYZ Processor

If you do not want to edit your .ini file you could ....

Change the file extension of the file you want to run from .tap to .ngc

In V-carve try different post processors, you want to select a standard G-code output.
If you want I can check with a friend who uses V-carve to help select the best one.

Rick G

More
22 Jul 2011 13:57 #11730 by andypugh
FERGOBOY wrote:

THE GCODE CAN BE READ BY EMC2 BUT WHEN YOU GO TO CUT AN ERROR OCCURS.

It would be a huge help if you could say what the error is. However, if I had to guess I would assume that the hamsters are tired.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds