permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.user/32506

3. There are too many info channels! Close down the forum on the LinuxCNC
website ASAP! It doesn't work, Google can't make correct forward links and
some browsers fail to show it. There is an active forum at cnczone (I'll
fix the renaming), there's a working mailing list (also active). There is a
more or less dead website, the wiki is somewhat updated but still there are
obsolete chapters or dead links (I promise to update the wiki myself more
frequently in the future)/quote]

There are many ways to research and receive help on Emc including the Forum, mailing list, IRC, WIKI, etc.
Without spending any time debating the benefits of each my personal favorite and the one that has been most helpful to me is the forum.
If I cannot find the information in any of the documentation 95% of the time a quick search of the forum will return the information I need.
The other 5% of the time posting a question results in one or more responses that solves the problem for you and provides a history for others who may encounter the same situation.

As a whole I have found many forums to be a poor excuse for support. Many seem to be for commercial products that instead of real support from the staff rely on volunteers and the quality of the response can be very hit and miss.

The EMC forum is a true exception, look at the caliper of the people who regularly participate and the quality of the responses, you can't do better than that.

This whole discussion seems to stem from the renaming of EMC and the fact that many members of the EMC community were never made aware of any problem or the change till after it was a done deal.
Do we want better communication? Sure. Does reducing the options of communication help? No.

Rick G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2012 12:03 #17117 by Mike_Eitel
Hi

I like this forum. It's good source of information..

Don't let it go

Mike

More
25 Jan 2012 12:26 #17118 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
Most "support" forums I've visited in the past and now are just like this one and depend on knowledgeable users to answer questions.

I really got a kick one time on a commercial software forum when I made a comment on how to improve the work flow of the software and a moderator told me to "watch what I say on the forum as the programmers sometimes read the topics".

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
25 Jan 2012 18:09 #17130 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
simple answer is YES

their are many people that will use the forums for whatever software they use , and have no inclination or want to use IRC or mailing list full of spam etc
at least a forum keeps it's history , and problems can be searched , try that on IRC etc

but i can see that in certian cases there are too many channels open , and that to reach the majority of users a forum is the best place , after all some people may have not used the forum for a few months if at all , and wish to research a topic or problem , and consolidation for the mass users would be a forum , rather than IRC or a mailing list

remember more people read the forums , than those that post , it does not mean they are not Active .

More
25 Jan 2012 19:07 #17132 by dab77
Replied by dab77 on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
I founded this forum really helpful during these years.

Yes +1.

More
26 Jan 2012 00:21 #17140 by Harry_Y
Replied by Harry_Y on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
Yes Keep It

It was a instrumental in me coming back to EMC

More
26 Jan 2012 01:03 #17143 by wizard69
Replied by wizard69 on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
Yes one thousand times over!

As someone relatively new to Linuxcnc this is a very valuable forum. More importantly it is well organized so those of use with little free time can quickly update themselves.

Is the forum and Limuxcnc.org site perfect. Of course not, I don't ever expect them to be perfect. The important thing is usability which really isn't that bad. Get rid of the forums and I suspect you will loose many supporters that don't want to go to the trouble of using alternative ways to communicate.

One needs to realize that many of us have limited time for the web in the first place. Often that means using our preferred web browser to quickly access the site and then go onto the next. We don't want nor need the trouble of accessing conversations through specific apps.

More
26 Jan 2012 15:06 #17159 by boldford
Replied by boldford on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
As someone who is very new to Linux and LinuxCNC (as it is now named) I wouldn't have made anywhere near the progress I have without this forum.

Please, please, please keep it going.

Yes, by all means continue to refine it and improve it but please don't take the EMC2/LinuxCNC forum down.

P.S. Who cares what it's called, so long as it works well.

• Dan Falck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jan 2012 15:40 #17163 by Dan Falck
Replied by Dan Falck on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
Yes, I think we do need this forum. It will get better over time too. I used to check out the CNCZone forum, but really don't care to go there anymore.

More
03 Feb 2012 17:47 #17359 by RayJr
Replied by RayJr on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
Over the past couple of years, I have found this forum to be VERY useful.

From getting my systems set up, and then adding more features/capability.

It has had some warts, but what system doesn't.

Keep it alive! PLEASE!!

Ray M.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it"

Albert Einstein

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds