Do we need this forum?

More
03 Feb 2012 17:53 #17360 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
I don't see any talk about closing the forum and my stats say a member for 4 years, wow have we been here that long already?

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2012 19:49 #17368 by cwebs
Replied by cwebs on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
"Do we need this forum?" Well, I sure do. I joined three years ago and have read allmost every post. The only help I have been able to find using LinuxCNC was right here. Thanks guys, Carl

More
04 Feb 2012 12:27 #17389 by btvpimill
Replied by btvpimill on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
The most help I have found for LinuxCNC came from here. I have read the "Docs", tried IRC, and attempted to use the WIKI. In the end, this forum has taught me more than all the other resources combined.

It would be a real shame if this were to be shut down. I feel like the "suggestion" in the first post is VERY short sighted.

I have been full on busy over the last 6 months or so. But I am very happy to know All I will want to know will be here when I get back

My 2 cents.

More
18 May 2012 17:30 #20211 by pfred1
Replied by pfred1 on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
Dan Falck wrote:

Yes, I think we do need this forum. It will get better over time too. I used to check out the CNCZone forum, but really don't care to go there anymore.

Need is a strong word, but I recommend this forum to anyone who seeks non-trivial support as their best source to get it. IRC might work, if someone that knows is on, and mailing lists are too high signal to noise. Using this forum someone can focus on their own issue, and they stand a good chance of receiving help they desire.

Personally I found the CNCZone community less than receptive to things other than Mach3 and Gecko. While there are exceptions to every rule I'm not going to try to shovel you know what against the tide over there. I've nothing against other's choices, but I'm not going to stay around where people proffer their opinions while disparaging mine.

More
25 May 2012 03:25 #20364 by Chipmunk
Replied by Chipmunk on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
One can never have to much information, it would be a sad state of affairs if questions were only answered by one person. I think about when I was working for a living and a problem arose. nine chances out of ten the first answer to the problem was usually incorrect, it had some of the elements right , but what usually solved the problem was the combined effort of a group of people who eventually got to the root of the problem.

This forum has the same dynamics, many people building on each others knowledge, the recipient who asked the question gets the benefit of this knowledge base. I recently was the recipient of this combined knowledge, and I am grateful for it, for without it I would be struggling with no were to turn too.

Keep up the good work.

Chipmunk

More
26 May 2012 01:42 #20405 by pfred1
Replied by pfred1 on topic Re:Do we need this forum?
Chipmunk wrote:

One can never have to much information

Around dinner time if I'm watching TV I'd beg to differ.:silly:

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds