Wireless Networking

More
12 Jun 2012 03:28 - 12 Jun 2012 03:33 #20833 by Chezchuck
I am a new user of LinuxCNC.

I installed the Live CD and everything seemed to work including my WiFi connection. Then I downloaded the EMC shell script (via my WiFi connection) and ran it. Everything seemed to work. Rebooted my machine and can no longer use the WiFi connection. WiFi adapter is a Linksys WMG600N PCI card (E3000 Router) - My wired interface in my PC is DOA -can't be used. I can connect to an un-secured network but not to WPA2 Personal. How do I fix this without a network connection? It is clear to me that the EMC install script caused this problem. My machine works correctly, just no networking and that is essential for me to use this - don't really want to go back to Windows.

Troubleshooting steps did not help.

TIA
Last edit: 12 Jun 2012 03:33 by Chezchuck. Reason: Oops posted in the wrong place, sorry about that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2012 08:43 #20836 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Wireless Networking
Hi

It is clear to me that the EMC install script caused this problem.

Afraid it is far from clear to me how it could possibly affect your wi-fi

I can connect to an un-secured network but not to WPA2 Personal

I take this to mean that your wi-fi is working properly but your connection settings for WPA2 are not right.
How could you connect to an unsecured network with no wi-fi?

I would suggest you install wicd and use that to set up your wifi connections afresh.
I had major problems with a notebook where the default ubuntu networking app kept not connecting on wi-fi despite being set up to do so automatically
and using wicd solved it easily.
wicd will detect the available networks and allow you to enter your codes etc to connect automatically at boot.

regards

(PS running ifconfig will show you if wlan0, or whatever your wi-fi is called, is up. If you can see it, it is an authentication / connection problem, not no wi-fi)

More
12 Jun 2012 13:45 #20839 by Chezchuck
Replied by Chezchuck on topic Re:Wireless Networking
How it is clear to me that EMC caused my networking problem in that before I installed EMC my network worked correctly with WPA2 setup. After installing EMC my network no longer works as it did before I installed EMC. QED: the installation of EMC did something to my the network configuration and now it does not work.

When I try to connect to the GUEST account on my router (an unsecured network connection) it connects - however, this connection is just to share disk space that is on the router. So it is not useful for actually getting on the Internet or transferring files from one computer to another for example.

I will try the wicd solution that you have suggested when I get home tonight. As I mentioned, when I installed Ubuntu from the LiveCD my network functioned correctly. I was able to connect to my home network with WPA2 Personal and everything worked. Then I downloaded the EMC installation shell script through that connection. I then ran the EMC install script and rebooted my computer. After that I can no longer connect to my router using WPA2 Personal - I disabled and re-enabled the connection many times and re-entered the pass phrase many times too but no joy.

I ran ifconfig and saw my wlan0 device. However, it never got a network address and never connected (excepting the unsecured connection that is not useful). I also tried setting an IP address manually but that did not help either. I also did all of the troubleshooting steps at least ten times. I never saw the "CLAIMED, NOT CLAIMED, etc" messages either - however, everything else seemed to be there. So it appears that something is going on with the WPA2 security portion of the networking package.

I very much appreciate your suggestions. Thanks for your reply.

More
12 Jun 2012 15:13 #20843 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Wireless Networking
Chezchuck wrote:

How it is clear to me that EMC caused my networking problem in that before I installed EMC my network worked correctly with WPA2 setup. After installing EMC my network no longer works as it did before I installed EMC. QED: the installation of EMC did something to my the network configuration and now it does not work..

It might be that the patched kernel has a slightly different set of modules installed.

Are you connecting with the password, or the HEX key? I found that I needed to use the long, tedious, HEX version of the WPA key when I set my machine up recently.

More
13 Jun 2012 01:21 #20863 by Chezchuck
Replied by Chezchuck on topic Re:Wireless Networking
I installed wicd and my network is now working correctly...

Thanks

More
13 Jun 2012 09:17 #20868 by ArcEye
Hi

Glad that sorted it for you.

Wired ethernet is bombproof, but nothing seems to cause so many problems as wi-fi.

wicd is certainly a much better manager than the default ubuntu one and easy to set up
I just install it from the outset now on any wi-fi dependent computer.

regards

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds