Accessing Forum

More
15 Jul 2019 18:07 #139484 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Accessing Forum

Grotius wrote: It looks like Ddos attacks

Someone is looking for problem's.

Already checked and eliminated as the cause.
You can also check that very easily, open a terminal and ping forum.linuxcnc.org, even when there are timeouts the ping reply time will remain unchanged. That proves that the network is not overloaded and the server is also not overloaded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2019 18:35 #139492 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Accessing Forum
Tom,

Linuxcnc.org ping = 154ms
Google.com = 17ms

More
15 Jul 2019 18:37 #139494 by tecno
Replied by tecno on topic Accessing Forum
Here in Sweden

Linuxcnc.org ping = 106ms
Google.com = 6ms
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

More
15 Jul 2019 18:46 #139495 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Accessing Forum
google 45ms
forum 135ms

Google has it's own servers all over the world, except here i guess ! :)
I am sure we have youtube servers here as one of my friends was an ISP here, sold the business last year.
linuxcnc.org does 200 to 350ms and the reply is from their ISP.
Worth noting is that the replies from forum.linuxcnc.org are always between 130 and 138ms, always, even during time outs it stays the same.

More
15 Jul 2019 19:22 #139499 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Accessing Forum
I've mentioned this before and I don't see you've checked this but timeouts like this can also be becasue of an overloaded SQL server. This usually happens if you are running on shared hosting where many sites use the same SQL server.

There are some very clever people on the forum here and t would be nice if a bit more information about the forum platform was made public.

More
15 Jul 2019 19:37 #139500 by rodw
I might add that Kunena is a Joomla extension so I think that makes it a poor choice in my view. You've got the added overhead of Joomla as well as a forum to contend with as well as the bandwith requirements of a forum to contend with.

I have used Joomla extensively in the past but really think its well and truly obsolete in today's internet. I ran an ecommerce site on a Joomla Extension and sales doubled in 90 days when I moved platforms...

BUt I understand there is a lot of history here....

More
15 Jul 2019 21:11 #139503 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Accessing Forum

rodw wrote: I might add that Kunena is a Joomla extension so I think that makes it a poor choice in my view.

BUt I understand there is a lot of history here....

While it might be a poor choice today, when the forum was started it was the only choice we had and it took quite some doing to just get a forum. I doubt that the forum is the cause of the current issues some face with timeouts as we have been using this same platform for a long, long time. Having said that please make suggestions for forum software in the Forum Questions section.

JT

More
15 Jul 2019 21:29 #139506 by rodw
Poor choice or not, when it works its fine, so you got something right. Its just that Joomla got buried by Wordpress and the support etc is not great today and is a greater security risk. So if its not the server then it must be the host. If you are on a VPS, I wonder if another site is hogging resources. Does you host use a CDN? When they go down, the whole internet stops...

More
16 Jul 2019 00:05 #139519 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Accessing Forum
The host is DreamHost, the OS is Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS, I'm not sure what VPS or CDN mean? Can you elaborate a bit? It's on a Droplet whatever that is...

JT

More
16 Jul 2019 01:09 #139528 by mozmck
Replied by mozmck on topic Accessing Forum
Pretty sure the forum host is a digital ocean droplet. Website is dreamhost.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds