Methods of Work

More
24 Mar 2011 10:28 #8044 by Rick G
Methods of Work was created by Rick G
Hello,

Should we have a section that describes some of the methods we use to set up the actual machining on our machines?

For example..
"When using the vise on a mill I set the left rear corner of the vise (the stationary side) at X0,Y0 and my ngc file is set that the top left corner of the work is X0,Y0..."

Rick G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2011 14:08 #8049 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Methods of Work
Hi Rick,

IMHO, general machining information really doesn't fit the scope of any of the EMC manuals as EMC can be used to control such a wide variety of machines. However, adding that information to the Wiki is a good idea IMHO. The only reason I added the little bit about using Linux to the EMC manual is the fact that a large number have never touched Linux and needed some hand holding to just get the software installed and up and running. In fact I feel some of the general machine center things don't belong in the EMC manual either due to the wide variety of machines EMC can control.

Thanks
John

More
25 Mar 2011 10:43 #8063 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Methods of Work
Hello John,

I agree with your thoughts about the manual.
What I was thinking was if there would be a benefit to adding sections to the forum.

Thanks,

Rick

More
25 Mar 2011 10:57 #8064 by BigJohnT
Hi Rick,

I totally missed your question... smack on forehead sound. The Milling and Turning sections of the Machining forum are intended for that, did you think of another one that fits in that forum? Also a thread that is like a FAQ can be made sticky to stay on top.

John

More
27 Mar 2011 10:00 #8145 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Methods of Work
Hello John,

If there is interest in the idea a sticky thread in the mill and lathe section would be a good way to go. Users could share and comment on some tips and tricks that relate to EMC2 and their machine practices.
I wonder if a section on plasma cutting would be good as well. Using THC, pierce height, etc.

Rick G

More
27 Mar 2011 12:14 #8153 by BigJohnT
We can give it a go but the traffic is so low in the machining/turning that I wonder if a plasma section would get any...

John

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds