Went to start up mill and none of the axis will move?

More
04 Nov 2017 21:28 #101333 by jamby
Started up my mill (bridgeport clone) but with linuxcnc 2.7.11 running and mesa 7i77 card changing from red to green, the mills power comes on and the servo cards power up. At linuxcnc the DRO shows manual movement of the axis (all three) and went the e-stop is reset and machine power is pressed the servos click in and the hand wheels can't be moved. But when the axis are jogged it sets a joint following error in each.

Then went trying to get a quickie job done I got a new set of errors I've never seen before.

hm2/hm2_5i25.0 ***Smart Serial Port 0 will be stopped***

hm2/hm2_5i25.0: Smart Serial Comms Error:
There have been more than 1 errors in 10 thread
executions at least 200 times. See other error
messages for details.

hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.1 local error = (3) Timeout

hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.1 local error = (7) Too many

hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.1 local error = (13)
Communication error

I don't know what to make of these or where to look for the cause of the following error messages. I am sure this is all due to something I did in the last week when I was looking at up grading the computer running Linuxcnc but all the communications seem to be working except the power to the drive cards and I have chased the line from the 7i77 to the drive cards and all looks good??

If anyone has any idea what to check and where to log files are it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2017 13:31 #101349 by PCW
Looks like maybe a marginal 5V power to the 7I77 or a watchdog bite (very bad latency on the host)

That is, it started the link but somehow lost all communications. Its also possible to get these errors
with a hal file error (inverting the polarity of the sserial TXDATA in the hal file)

More
05 Nov 2017 18:07 #101363 by jamby
I checked the power at TB1 and got 5.06 V. Since the only thing I remembered moving since the last time I ran the machine was the cable at the 5i25 card, I reseated the 5i26 card just to be sure. No change still gets a "following error in joint".
If I probe between the (2) crews at bottom of TB5 (joint 0) should I see voltage when jogged?

Not sure if this is a valid test but I have a older version of the machine definition and I started it up and tried to jog but I has the same error. They should have different hal and ini files so that might eliminate that possibility.

The machine tool is driven by servo motors and I believe latency should not be a problem. But I only think that because of a post during the setup of the machine.

Thanks
Jim

More
05 Nov 2017 18:54 #101366 by PCW

If I probe between the (2) crews at bottom of TB5 (joint 0) should I see voltage when jogged?

No, those are the 2 Axis 0 enable lines (basically a switch that is on when the analog outputs 0..4 are enabled)

Pin 4 of TB5 is axis 0 analog out and you would expect to see a signal there proportional to X velocity,
but only if the analog out is working, if you have the listed sserial errors, analog out would have been disabled

What did you change in the working system?

More
05 Nov 2017 20:54 #101371 by jamby
Not much of anything. I was looking at taking the linuxcnc installation another step and removing the anilam control box completely. As now the power on, e-stop button, and reset servo button are still located there. About the only thing I remember doing was disconnecting the serial cable from the computer to see if I had enough length to move the box to another location. I haven't been able to see any other cabling issues that might be affecting this.
But now that I am on the far side of 70 I don't always remember all I forgot.

So as of now the Dell computer running linuxcnc, the old compute case that houses the 7i77 and all connections to the servo box on the mill are as before. I haven't changed anything in the machine configuration in linuxcnc.

But I am still sure its probably some stupid thing I did that I haven't found yet.

To check pin 4 on TB5 would I place a probe on pin 4 TB5 and the other on the 5V ground pin?

thanks for your help
Jim

More
05 Nov 2017 21:29 #101373 by BigJohnT
Jim,
Is it an Anilam 1100M conversion?

JT

More
05 Nov 2017 21:50 #101374 by jamby
BigJohnT

No its the older Crusader II. Sometimes know as Crudsader.
The forum was nice enough to hold my hand through getting as far as I have and its been working well for the last year or so. But between getting my backhoe sold and working on a new (used) lathe I bought and needed to fix a few things on I haven't used the mill for 4 + months.

Jim

More
05 Nov 2017 22:04 #101376 by BigJohnT
Hi Jim,

I was just curious my BP knee mill was an Anilam 1100M. Now that you have sold your backhoe do you need a crawler with a 6 way?

JT

More
05 Nov 2017 22:34 #101378 by jamby
JT

No, Ma says I've had my fling with heavy equipment. Its back to being a machinist and blacksmith.

Did you completely remove you 1100? I've been wanting to and emailed with someone who had. But he took out one of the IC's and used only one connection on the PB-801 card P3 connector then ran the limit stops from the PB-803 to TB8 on the 7i77. Well it was something close to that but I am winging it.
Problem is I am driving TB2 with the 12V power from a PC Power Supply and while I bought a 5V and 24V power supply from Mean Well for the upgrade but we weren't sure if putting 24V onto TB2 might screw everything up. The idea being I needed 24V for the limit switches. I am sure I am leaving plenty out, but that's what I was looking at.

Thanks
Jim

More
05 Nov 2017 22:59 #101380 by BigJohnT
Yea, the only thing that remained was the drives and the power supply. Put an Automation Direct GS-2 Drive for the spindle as LinuxCNC can control it with the gs2 component. I'm keeping my JD 310A for a while I think but I'm done with the JD 350 with the 6-way blade. Where are you located at?

JT

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds