Mesa 7i92M Support

More
28 Feb 2017 03:47 #88714 by tuffduck33
Will the next version of LinuxCNC include pncconfig support for the Mesa 7i92M coupled with the Gecko G540?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2017 04:15 #88715 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Mesa 7i92M Support
unfortunately, I don't believe pncconf is not going to be continued in the future.
I have seemed to lost interest in maintaining it and I don't think anyone else will pick it up.

Sorry
Chris M

More
28 Feb 2017 12:14 #88723 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Mesa 7i92M Support
From Linuxcnc side the 7i92 is a 5i25 through ethernet, so any Linuxcnc config for 5i25 will work on 7i92.
That is not the case for firmware, so do not flash 5i25 firmware to a 7i92 card.
In pncconf make a config for 5i25, finish it and open the hal file in a text editor, replace "hm2_pci" with "hm2_eth" and replace anything 5i25 with 7i92. Use the replace feature in all text editors.
I do not recal if there is a firmware for 7i92 and G540 but it should be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
28 Feb 2017 22:37 #88785 by tuffduck33
Replied by tuffduck33 on topic Mesa 7i92M Support
Will there be a simple alternate method incorporated into linuxcnc?

More
01 Mar 2017 03:37 #88794 by tuffduck33
Thanks, I will give it a try.

More
01 Mar 2017 06:15 #88797 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Mesa 7i92M Support

Will there be a simple alternate method incorporated into linuxcnc?

Not that I know of. editing a sample config will be it.

Chris M

More
01 Mar 2017 14:41 #88817 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Mesa 7i92M Support

I have seemed to lost interest in maintaining it and I don't think anyone else will pick it up

To perhaps explain this a bit, when Chris started pncconf there were 4 4 FPGA cards and two interfaces (PCI and EPP) with about half a dozen daughter cards.

Then smart-serial arrived, and the DB25 cards, and the ethernet cards. Smart-serial is especially difficult for pncconf as the cards themselves choose their pin names.

It might be possible to have something like pncconf which interrogates the hardware that it finds, but even then it would be far from easy for the config tool to know what the pins are _for_ based only on their names.

More
01 Mar 2017 18:26 #88830 by Badger
Replied by Badger on topic Mesa 7i92M Support
This maybe hijacking the thread but... I foresee using some sort of Mesa products in the future and probably don't know as much about LCNC as I should. My machine requirements are fairly unique and I doubt that any configuration wizard would ever be able to completely meet my needs. However as long as there is a sample configuration that has the basic requirements in place for a usable .ini and .hal file that I can then figure out and edit for my specific needs I would be very happy. I find that it is much easier to comment out lines that I don't need than it is to write new lines and get all of the syntax correct in the first few tries.

I am really impressed by how much has been done to make this free software available and how much support the forum offers. I was willing to purchase commercial software but it was not at all adaptable to my specific needs. Thanks!

More
01 Mar 2017 20:47 #88842 by tuffduck33
I went into the pncconfig and looked under the 5i25. The is no selection for the G540 nor is there a stand alone option. When I pick any of the others the setting are all blank. Charge pump on pin 16 cannot e found. From what I understand pncconfig is being dropped. I tried to see if there was a correlation between my work stepconfig and the pncconfig and I don't see one. I thought when I purchased the card that after two ears of being available there would be better configuration support within linuxcnc. The mesa card was purchase preconfigured to e used with the G540. I followed the instructions supplied and nothing. John Thornton (Thank you) sent me an ini and a hal file which I put in the appropriate folder. When I run linuxcnc the screen comes up up I can turn nothing on. If turn off the charge pump on the G540, I just move the axis. What am I missing, as for the settings in the pncconfig mean nothing to me.

More
01 Mar 2017 20:54 #88843 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Mesa 7i92M Support

If turn off the charge pump on the G540, I just move the axis.

That sounds reasonably close to being functional. Let's try to work through the problems one at a time.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds