subroutine stops without warning

More
16 Mar 2013 00:18 #31457 by alan_3301
I am running a probe routine with a o<file> call, which i modified from smartprobe.ngc
At times, seemingly random, it will quit in the middle with no warning or error.
I am using non-triv kins and I am in world mode when clicking the button to call the routine.
In normal operation, after clicking a custom mdi button, when it finishes, it will switch to joint mode, and I have to manually switch back to world mode.
At the point when the routine quits, axis switches back to joint mode, as it would if it finished all the way through.
After that, however, if I do a MDI button, Z- probe for example, instead of doing that, it finishes the move it quit from the previously run subroutine.
If I do the mdi button again, it will do what it should, go to Z- probe for example.

Ok I just wrote all this and I'll leave it there just because, but I have noticed something else while typing.

I have switches to trivkins for further testing to compare how it behaves.
At the point when it quits, I can type G1 X0Y0 F100 in the MDI box. When I click Go, instead of going to X0Y0, it will perform the next line in the subroutine after the hangup. I can the keep calling the same MDI command and click go, it will do the next line in the subroutine.
I can do this over and over again, and it will run the subroutine, line by line, until it is finished.
I can even jog in manual mode, do another mdi command, and it will still do the next subroutine line.
At this point, I have to either quit axis, or finish the subroutine to get back in control.

Now the hard part, How do I figure out what makes it go from executing the subroutine continuously, to stopping, and going line at a time?
It may be a clue, that in non-triv kins only the line after the hangup is executed, before regaining control, while in triv kins I am forced to quit or finish the subroutine one line at a time.
Anyone heard of anything like this before?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2013 01:22 #31459 by alan_3301
I left out some important info, I am calling the subrouting from a button linked to an mdi_command.
If I run the subroutine directly from mdi, everything works perfect (50 times in a row atleast).

And now after non-stop testing after my last post, I think I have figured this one out..

I remember now reading in the docs about custom mdi buttons, make sure you are in mdi mode before you click the button.
This was my problem. If I make sure I am in mdi mode (F5) I have no problems.

I will update if I have more problems.

More
16 Mar 2013 08:16 #31480 by andypugh

I remember now reading in the docs about custom mdi buttons, make sure you are in mdi mode before you click the button.
This was my problem. If I make sure I am in mdi mode (F5) I have no problems.

Putting something in the docs, contrary to popular belief, does not transform a "bug" into a "feature".

What you are seeing is not what you could reasonably expect to see.

More
16 Mar 2013 08:29 #31485 by andypugh

IAt times, seemingly random, it will quit in the middle with no warning or error.

Which version are you running?

More
16 Mar 2013 10:11 #31487 by alan_3301

Putting something in the docs, contrary to popular belief, does not transform a "bug" into a "feature".

That made me smile :)

I am using 2.5.1 installed from the livecd

I had placed log comments in many parts of the subroutine to help debug where it was getting stuck, and it seemed to be in different spots of the file each time.

More
16 Mar 2013 10:20 #31488 by andypugh

I am using 2.5.1 installed from the livecd

There is some chance this is fixed in the development branch. Would you be willing to try it and see?

The dev branch (variously called "master" or "2.6") is available from the buildbot at buildbot.linuxcnc.org

At the moment I don't know of many things that are worse in 2.6 than 2.5.1. As you know _exactly_ how to cause the problem it is much easier for you to test than us. As a bonus you get some cool new stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alan_3301

More
16 Mar 2013 19:23 #31499 by alan_3301
I'll give it a try, I installed the latest master when I install ja3 a couple weeks ago.
I will see how it goes Monday.

More
23 Mar 2013 03:06 #31744 by alan_3301
I finally got a chance to try this out on 2.6.
I am testing 2.6.0-pre0-3877-g781be81 and it works in both manual and mdi mode with no unexpected stops.
Also it doesnt kick me back into joint mode after pressing a mdi button, so that is nice.
Is there a running changelog for 2.6 posted somewhere or does it get finalized on release?

Thanks again!

More
23 Mar 2013 07:45 #31750 by andypugh

I finally got a chance to try this out on 2.6.
I am testing 2.6.0-pre0-3877-g781be81 and it works in both manual and mdi mode with no unexpected stops.!

Great! thanks for reporting back.

More
28 Mar 2013 13:34 - 28 Mar 2013 13:37 #31991 by seb_kuzminsky
Hi Alan, I'm trying to reproduce this problem in order to fix it in 2.5, but I can't get it to happen.

I'm on 2.5.1, I'm using Axis and halui, and I'm triggering MDI commands via halui by poking the halui.mdi-command-XX pins in HAL.

One of my mdi commands is an o<file> subroutine call that does some moves, displays some operator messages, and does a long probe move. This all works fine, both when i'm in the Axis Manual tab (F3) and in the MDI tab (F5).

I'm using the sim/axis config, which uses trivkins, maybe that's relevant.

Could you post your entire config, including the .ini, all .hal files, and the subroutine file you're calling? It would help me debug this.

I'm also curious if master is still working for you. I made some changes to MDI handling in v2.6.0-pre0-4281-gc85535d, i'd appreciate it if you could test that version (or anything later than that version) and report back. Thanks!
Last edit: 28 Mar 2013 13:37 by seb_kuzminsky.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds