Glade VCP quits after adding Gramlin plus

More
20 Jul 2016 04:15 #77675 by bodhi_94
Glade VCP quits after adding Gramlin plus to the workspace.. Can anyone help me out to solve this problem.. ?
Thank you. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2016 05:28 #77677 by cmorley
I don't have a fix but I did notice this recently when I tried adding gremlin plus.

Chris M

More
20 Jul 2016 06:37 #77680 by bodhi_94
do u have any idea to fix it? :)

More
21 Jul 2016 06:50 #77757 by newbynobi
What Glade verion do you use?
I am not on my computer, but i had such a problem and solved that updating Glade to the latest gtk2 supporting version.

Norbert
The following user(s) said Thank You: bodhi_94

More
22 Jul 2016 03:55 #77804 by bodhi_94
Thank you for your response.. I attached a screenshot of about window..
Attachments:

More
22 Jul 2016 22:53 #77863 by BigJohnT
Glade 3.8 is pretty stable, I expected to see 3.16 which the gui is flaky for sure.

JT

More
23 Jul 2016 14:32 - 23 Jul 2016 14:38 #77881 by newbynobi
Hallo John,

I just tested it here on Debian Jessy.

Glade 3.8.0 crashes adding Gremlin Plus
Glade 3.8.5 loads Gremlin Plus without any Problem.

3.8.5 is the latest Glade supporting GTK2, all newer Glade Versions do only support GTK3, so at this development state they are not compatible with GladeVCP.

Chris has done some work on porting GladeVCP to GTK3, but the Preview part is not solved, as GTK3 does not support any 3D preview window. All possibilities I found do work only with work around or use toolkits what are no longer supported.

IMHO we should all bundle our enforcements and change from pyGTK to pyQt.
As soon as I have finished porting gmoccapy to master (joint Axis support) I will begin to build a new GUI special for retrofitted machines and will try to base that one on pyQt. So any hand will be welcome ;-)

Norbert

P.S. Leonardo does discribe how to install glade-3.8.5 under Jessie (in Spanish)
Last edit: 23 Jul 2016 14:38 by newbynobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bodhi_94

More
23 Jul 2016 16:18 #77886 by BigJohnT
Hi Norbert,

I dabbled with PyQT a few times but to me it is quite confusing to get a handle on it. I wish I understood it better. Maybe better is C++ and Qt I guess... I can write some pretty intense programs with python and gtk. I've even written a golang dxf to g code converter that is unreal fast... I need to stop rambling and take a nap.

JT

More
25 Jul 2016 12:40 #77977 by andypugh

IMHO we should all bundle our enforcements and change from pyGTK to pyQt.

So does this mean that we would then have PyVCP, GladeVCP and QtVCP? That seems like an unfortunate level of complexity.

More
25 Jul 2016 15:22 #77993 by newbynobi
Hallo Andy,

at the very beginning yes!
But...

GTK2 is dead, there are no more development, as it has been replaced with GTK3, so we will be forced in the very near future to
transfer all gtk2 stuff to gtk3 or all the beautiful GUI based on that will not work any more on modern OS.

PyVCP is IMHO an very old relict and not any more "up to date" I have not checked, if there is still support for that one. But editing XML Files by hand is not "user friendly". Do we want users to add stuff, or just developers? IMHO we live in a click drag and drop world.

PyQt : is well supported, there are debs for a lot of Linux variants and does support GUI design by drag and drop and python is easy to learn.

So this is a basics discussion and the will to change and to begin with the change.
In my business we say, the one who is not willing to accept changes is not able to survive!

So let us talk, discuss and than take a decision! :)

Norbert

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds