Homng moving away from home

More
03 Sep 2011 16:47 #12926 by TarHeelTom
Had to unwire many components due to a physical interference.

Now my X axis moves in the right directions when jogging, but when I ask it to home, it moves away from the homing switch, instead of towards it.

Any ideas?

hal and ini are attached.

thanks

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2011 16:48 #12927 by TarHeelTom
And here is the ini

File Attachment:

File Name: Bridgeport_2.ini
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:

More
03 Sep 2011 17:04 #12928 by ArcEye
Hi

See linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config_stepconf.html

extract from same

Home Search Velocity
The velocity to use when moving towards the switch. If the switch is near the end of travel, this velocity must be chosen so that the axis can decelerate to a stop before hitting the end of travel. If the switch is only closed for a short range of travel (instead of being closed from its trip point to one end of travel), this velocity must be chosen so that the axis can decelerate to a stop before the switch opens again, and homing must always be started from the same side of the switch.
If the machine moves the wrong direction at the beginning of the homing procedure, negate the value of Home Search Velocity.

Home Latch Direction
Choose "Same" to have homing back off the switch, then approach it again at a very low speed. The second time the switch closes, the home position is set.
Choose "Opposite" to have homing slowly back off the switch. When the switch opens, the home position is set.

regards

More
04 Sep 2011 00:33 - 04 Sep 2011 14:31 #12941 by TarHeelTom
Thanks very much, arceye.

Sure wish the documentation had a search function.

Tom
Last edit: 04 Sep 2011 14:31 by TarHeelTom.

More
04 Sep 2011 14:34 #12958 by TarHeelTom
Next question.

Things are almost to the point where I need to start fine tuning.

Is there a write-up in the forum which discusses tweaking all the numbers?

I'm still getting the occasional following error, etc, in preliminary work.

Also need to tweak the numbers which set the jog speed, etc. Would like to have some more background here on going about these is a systematic way.

Thanks

Tom

More
04 Sep 2011 15:58 #12961 by ArcEye
Hi

First the basics, without the base-thread speed set properly everything else fails

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Twe...ftwareStepGeneration

also the previous link I gave has more info

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config_stepconf.html

The below explains the .ini file settings, I set my jog well below the max velocity for the axes, since I want to use it to go to a position in a controlled fashion. A high figure very often leads to joint errors in use.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config_ini_config.html

As a rough rule of thumb set you axes max velocity at 80% of the theoretical max and the [TRAJ] MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY at 10% less than the axes max velocity.

I like to have a 'soft' acceleration figure, as I find that what leads to more lost steps than any other factor is harsh acceleration figures on an axis which is stopped and run in rapid in the opposite direction (ie what happens at the end of every cut sometimes).

After that it is fine tuning and choice. No-one can tell you what figures you should be running, the motors, the machine, your computer and personal preferences will decide.

regards

More
04 Sep 2011 22:22 #12966 by TarHeelTom
Thanks again, arceye.

Going to print all this out, digest it, and start working on tweaking.

Slightly off topic, ran into my old copilot today, who is setting up a shop specifically to build rifle barrels for bench rest target shooters.

Tom

More
05 Sep 2011 04:33 - 05 Sep 2011 04:34 #12970 by TarHeelTom
Finally got all the limit switches hooked up and working. Lost a lot of hair in the process.

I move the X axis off the limit switch (using limit override), then hit the home button.

Creeps down toward the negative limit switch, hits it, then rapids out a bit, then creeps down again until it hits it a second time.

At this point everything stops. The limit switch is open, the home symbol is not turned on, and I get a 0 axis feed override warning message.

Any ideas?

Tom

File Attachment:

File Name: Bridgeport_2.hal
File Size:6 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Sep 2011 04:34 by TarHeelTom.

More
05 Sep 2011 04:35 #12971 by TarHeelTom
The ini file

File Attachment:

File Name: Bridgeport...5d11.ini
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:

More
05 Sep 2011 09:47 #12974 by andypugh
TarHeelTom wrote:

At this point everything stops. The limit switch is open, the home symbol is not turned on, and I get a 0 axis feed override warning message.
Any ideas?

Probably not related, but you might want to uncomment the STEPGEN_MAXACCEL line.
I suspect that the problem might be that the home offset is positive with a negative search velocity, so the home switch position is inside the range (this would only be a problem with a shared home/limit switch, though. Having the home inside the range is OK in principle.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds