Axis Scale not right. NEED HELP

More
11 Mar 2012 00:50 #18517 by pfred1
Notice that with each multiplication of voltage how the rated motor torque increases for speed. If you put an 8X line on that chart it wouldn't even fit! That phenomenon is because inductors (your motor coils) exhibit impedance that is overcome by voltage.

Gecko drives are 45 volts maximum I believe and 4.5 volt rated stepper motors are fairly common, that would be a 10X supply voltage there.

Ah, I just read a little below the other chart where Mariss explains it "inductive reactance" is another way of saying impedance. But coil impedance is kind of a complicated thing. The real thing to take away from all of those charts though is the more volts you can dump into a stepper motor the faster you can run at full power.

That's all any of us really need to know :) Mariss can deal with "inductive reactance" headaches, that is what we pay him to do!

That still doesn't mean we can lay down on the job when it comes to using the right power supplies, and setting drives up correctly though. Picking good motors doesn't hurt either. Low voltage, high current, low mH motors perform better than the opposite rated ones do at speeds.

Get any of this wrong, or any combination of it, and you are going to suffer from Disappointing Performance Syndrome (DPS).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2012 12:27 - 11 Mar 2012 12:29 #18526 by BigJohnT
The normal geckos are 80v and the minis are 50v.

I love DPS that's a good one.

John
Last edit: 11 Mar 2012 12:29 by BigJohnT.

More
11 Mar 2012 18:50 #18533 by pfred1
The more the merrier.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds