Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 Conversion

More
17 May 2012 14:37 #20177 by KPA
Hello all,
I'm starting my conversion of Bridgeport S2I2 Mill with a Heidenhain TNC 145C controller. This machine uses resolvers on the servo's rather than digital encoders. Within the TNC 145C there is a board that provides the A-D conversion. Not being an electrical engineer I don't think I have enough skills/tools to reverse engineer that circuit board to use the A-D function. Though I know others have with TNC 151 controllers and I find that nothing short of amazing.

By tools I mean scope and benchtop power supply, etc. I wonder if I should pick these up to help the conversion along.

So as I start the process my first question is: Is there any machine performance difference between using the existing resolvers and a Mesa 5i33 / 7i49 boards or switching them out to quad encoders and using something like a 5i20 / 7i33 combo.

There is an existing MPG that also plugs into the A-D board - I imagine it will also be a resolver type - not sure yet.

Thanks

Jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2012 15:24 #20180 by andypugh
KPA wrote:

I'm starting my conversion of Bridgeport S2I2 Mill with a Heidenhain TNC 145C controller. This machine uses resolvers on the servo's rather than digital encoders.

Are you sure you mean "Resolver" and not "Tachometer"?
If you use the original drives this may not be a problem. I would guess that the machine has glass scales on the axes for position feedback?
Is yours the same as this one?
igor.chudov.com/projects/Bridgeport-Seri...Interact-2-CNC-Mill/

It looks like he removed the original drives and fitted encoders, but that is not the only way, and probably isn't the easiest way.

More
17 May 2012 15:41 #20183 by KPA
The mill is simliar to Igor's and John's ( machineability.com/Bridgeport_series_II.html ).

The servo's have both a resolver to provide angular position feedback just like a digital shaft encoder - and a tach for velocity feedback to the drives. The resolvers are sin/cosine based rather that A quad B style. I think the sin/cosine style are called resolvers (?). My schematic for the machine shows both the encoder aka resolver circuit to the control, and the tach circuit to the drives.

There are no glass scales.

I didn't want to strip it completely out like Igor did, but take a less invasive approach much like John's - only I don't have his skill in re-using the TNC analoge-to-digital converter board.

Jay

More
17 May 2012 16:38 #20184 by andypugh
KPA wrote:

The servo's have both a resolver to provide angular position feedback just like a digital shaft encoder
There are no glass scales.

In that case I think that the 5i23 / 7i49 combination is the one to use.
Support for the 7i49 is quite new (you need LinuxCNC version 2.5) and slightly unproven, but I wrote the driver and if there are any prpblems/shortcomings then I will attempt to fix them.

With the 7i49 card the resolvers should look just like encoders to LinuxCNC and can be used in just the same way. (albeit encoders with 65536 counts per rev)
Resolvers are excellent devices. Very tough, very reliable, with theoretically infinite resolution.

I am attempting to use an Arduino to interpret the resolvers on my machine, but there is a fair chance that I will end up buying a 7i49 eventually

More
18 May 2012 00:38 #20190 by cmorley
what are the model number of the "resolvers' (are they heidenhain)
Heidenhain often used analog sine waves to produce digital TTL.
Your MPG's are most likely analog sine waves.
If this is true, then you can buy the conversion boxes on ebay (EXE 650)

More
18 May 2012 04:52 - 18 May 2012 04:53 #20194 by jmelson
A resolver is a rotary transformer where coupling between windings varies as the
winding is turned. It is a totally passive device, just wire and laminated iron, no
electronics. Heidenhain used analog encoders, both rotary and linear for many
years, most of them with current outputs. These are NOT resolvers, and a resolver
converter or reader will not accept the signals. If the resolution is high enough,
the signals can be converted to digital with a simple comparator circuit. The current
output can be converted to voltage with a resistor. The outputs of these analog
encoders are sine/cosine signals, and can be interpolated to increase resolution.
Also, if these encoders have light bulbs in them, you should either replace the
entire unit with something more modern, or at least replace the bulb with an IR
LED. Replacing the whole encoder has the advantage that you can increase resolution at the
same time. Replacing linear encoders is more expensive, rotary encoders
are relatively cheap today.

Jon
Last edit: 18 May 2012 04:53 by jmelson.

More
18 May 2012 09:28 #20198 by andypugh
andypugh wrote:

KPA wrote:

The servo's have both a resolver

In that case I think that the 5i23 / 7i49 combination is the one to use.

I forgot to say that Pico Systems also have a Resolver interface board for the PPMC system which Igor used, so both Mesa and Pico can be used with Resolvers.
If you have an oscilloscope it is easy to see if the transducers really are resolvers, there will be a sine wave going in ,and two sine waves going out, and te two ouptut waves will vary in relative amplitude as the motor shaft is turned, once per rev (or possibly twice). If you see the amplitudes change hundreds of times per rev, then it is an analogue encoder.

More
18 May 2012 16:34 #20210 by andypugh
The web seems to say "analogue encoders" with special magic to squeeze extra resolution out.

I think an Arduino (which has 6 analogue inputs) could be used to convert to a higher-resolution quadrature signal if simple squaring-up with a comparator gives too few counts per rev.

There are many Heidenhein interpolators on eBay, starting at $99 and that seems simpler, though:
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=%28heidenha...ion%2C+EXE%2C+IBV%29
Make sure you get the right type, here is the manual
www.lna.br/~det/Projetos/TCSPD/doc/HeidenheinEXE602.pdf

More
18 May 2012 18:29 - 18 May 2012 18:56 #20212 by KPA
They are Hendenhain ERO 115 125 D12. I've taken one apart and it has a copper disk with slots in it around the circumference - so I suppose the term Analog Encoder would then be what it is. I'm borrowing a scope from a friend in a week or two and will be able to see the signals at that time. My alternate approach is to try and re-use the existing A-D Board. The Heidenhain manual calls it the Analog Component Board. Encoders and handwheel feed into it, and supposedly digital signals come out. Again the scope will help me determine that.

So given that they are Analog Encoders, I'm now not sure if the resolver boards from Mesa of Pico would work with it. If that's the case then my choices narrow down to:

A. Try to re-use the Analog Component Board like John did with his conversion
B. Replace the Analog Encoders with Digital Encoders

From John's Web page where he documented his build

For the initial setup I just used halrun with a test hal file. This way I could test to see that the motors moved according to the command signal and check the position encoder feedback. This was the first setback in the project as I found that the Heidenhain encoders produced analog sine and cosine 125 cycle/revolution output signals. So to handle the encoder output problem I took the encoder interface board from the old Heidenhain controller and mounted it on the back of the cabinet door close to the PC. The Heidenhain board then outputs 625 A quad B digital cycles per revolution giving a resolution of 2500 counts per revolution. The ball screws have a 5mm pitch and are driven by a 2:1 timing belt reduction from the motors. So 2500 counts of the encoder represents 2.5 mm of motion or .001mm per count.

Jay
Last edit: 18 May 2012 18:56 by KPA.

More
18 May 2012 18:47 #20214 by andypugh
KPA wrote:

So given that they are Analog Encoders, I'm now not sure if the resolver boards from Mesa of Pico would work with it.

No, they won't, they are for resolvers, you have encoders.

If that's the case then my choices narrow down to:
A. Try to re-use the Analog Component Board like John did with his conversion
B. Replace the Analog Encoders with Digital Encoders
y

C. Get an interpolation box from eBay (3-channel, or one for each axis)
D. Make an interpolation device out of a microcontroller (such as an Arduino)
E. Square the pulses up with a simple comparator circuit.

E is the easiest, and will also boost the 1V signals to 5V TTL. It might not give you as much resolution as you would like.

Time to create page: 0.365 seconds