SOLVED! Spindle (Router) on relay does turn off

More
25 May 2012 15:49 - 26 May 2012 15:17 #20394 by cpy911
I have a Gecko G540 with a relay hooked up to my router. When I launch Linuxcnc the router turns on automatically via the relay when I turn on the machine via the linuxcnc software.

When I click machine stop button in linuxcnc, the relay trips and turns off the router.

However, when I turn on the machine via linuxcnc the router goes on and when I try and use the manual on/off command for the spindle it does not work. Nor does issuing a manual command of M5 work to turn off the router.

Could I have missed something in the configuration file? Is this a software or hardware issue?

Thanks!
Last edit: 26 May 2012 15:17 by cpy911.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2012 16:42 #20395 by ArcEye
Hi

I have never used a Gecko driver ( and probably never will, they are American and very expensive here) however:

Searching the net brings up all sorts of similar problems reported with Gecko 'relays'.
This is just one www.cnczone.com/forums/taig_mills_lathes...t_control_relay.html

The basis of the 'problem' appears to be that it is not a relay and will not power one.
It switches a voltage to common ground rather than applying a voltage itself, so is just a trigger for a supplied voltage through the activation coil of a relay.

If your BOB has a relay to spare, could be a lot simpler using that.

regards

More
26 May 2012 12:28 #20419 by BigJohnT
Is this a solid state relay or an ordinary one?

How did you make your configuration? If stepconf you can post your stepconf config file and we can look at your whole configuration from it.

John

More
26 May 2012 15:16 #20423 by cpy911
Solved! I just did not specify the parallel port pin used to turn off the spindle. After some trial and error, I specified #17 and it works! Thanks for your help!

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds