First time EMC2 user need help

More
28 Aug 2012 16:35 - 28 Aug 2012 16:42 #23721 by cncbasher
ok first off pin 1 needs setting as amplifier enable in stepconfig ( any amplifier enable x y or z will do )
the second issue is the estop ( emergency stop ) this is required for emc to work , the easy way is to use a limit switch input pin ( say limit -1 ) and connect a wire permananty to ground for now
and then set pin 10 ( limit-1) in stepconfig to Estop

if you recieve any error message regarding enable or estop in axis then invert the pin in step config
it is normal in emc for the estop to be N/C and for Limit switches to be N/O on a simple setup as you have .
Last edit: 28 Aug 2012 16:42 by cncbasher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2012 18:04 #23723 by gmaranda
cncbasher wrote:

ok first off pin 1 needs setting as amplifier enable in stepconfig ( any amplifier enable x y or z will do )
the second issue is the estop ( emergency stop ) this is required for emc to work , the easy way is to use a limit switch input pin ( say limit -1 ) and connect a wire permananty to ground for now

if you recieve any error message regarding enable or estop in axis then invert the pin in step config
it is normal in emc for the estop to be N/C and for Limit switches to be N/O on a simple setup as you have .

Excellent tks

I try this and let you know how it turned out!

More
28 Aug 2012 23:11 #23727 by gmaranda
cncbasher wrote:

Hi! again,

Well, instructions followed to the letter but no movements on the motors:ohmy:

Pin 1 is now amplifier enable and L1 has a small jump wire to ground. Pin 10 is also put onto Estop. A full computer shut down and then start up did not produce anything else either. So to sum up

pin1: amplifier enable
pin2: x signal
pin3: x direction
pin4: y signal
pin5: y direction
pin6: z signal
pin7: z direction
pin10: estop

anything else I can try?

tks

More
29 Aug 2012 06:13 - 29 Aug 2012 06:26 #23735 by cncbasher
do the motors seem to energise i.e is the motor shaft easy to turn by hand or is it stiff to turn ... ? what power supply are you using volts / amp

using only stepconfig their is a test tune menu , on selecting enable and selecting direction do the motors run
any error messages on axis startup ?

are you starting emc by pressing F2? or the ON icon

can you post the hal file and ini files from linuxcnc/configs/ <" machine-name " > / xx.hal etc

if you have skype give me a call ?
Last edit: 29 Aug 2012 06:26 by cncbasher.

More
29 Aug 2012 08:07 - 29 Aug 2012 08:21 #23736 by cncbasher
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Aug 2012 08:21 by cncbasher.

More
29 Aug 2012 08:26 #23738 by andypugh
gmaranda wrote:

Well, instructions followed to the letter but no movements on the motors

Did you invert the enable pin?

More
30 Aug 2012 00:02 #23757 by gmaranda

File Attachment:

File Name: Testing.ini
File Size:2 KB
cncbasher wrote:

do the motors seem to energise i.e is the motor shaft easy to turn by hand or is it stiff to turn ... ? what power supply are you using volts / amp

using only stepconfig their is a test tune menu , on selecting enable and selecting direction do the motors run
any error messages on axis startup ?

are you starting emc by pressing F2? or the ON icon

can you post the hal file and ini files from linuxcnc/configs/ <" machine-name " > / xx.hal etc

if you have skype give me a call ?

Good day again,

First let me say that I have a 6B6560-3V4 blue board. A 24VDC 6amp power supply and 3 nema17 stepper motors. With computer shut down when I plug the board the motors energize and they are hard to turn by hand. As soon as I start up the computers the motor are no longer hard to turn by hand. If I shut down the computer then again the motors are hard to turn by hand.

After setting up the pinout we have tried to invert the enable with no effect. We tried to invert the motors with no effects. We tried to invert Pin10 (estop) with no effects. As a matter of fact nothing happens with or without the jumper from pin L1 to ground. When I try the test tune menu in stepconfig nothing happens either. When I start emc2 I then push F2 to get into the right mode.

I have included the .ini and I will put the .hal in my next thread since I don't seem to be able to load up two files at a time.

I wish I could call you but the cnc machine is located in a workshop and the computer running it is no where near the internet so I would not be able to answer questions and try things at the same time.

One last thing to state when I plug in or unplug the board you can see a small jerk of the stepper motor as they energize or de-energize.

that is it for now...............getting a bid anxious to get this baby going!!!

Tks for your support
Attachments:

More
30 Aug 2012 00:03 #23758 by gmaranda
Please find enclosed .hal file

File Attachment:

File Name: Testing.hal
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

More
30 Aug 2012 07:37 - 30 Aug 2012 08:19 #23763 by cncbasher
ok it appears that the configuration in your particular board may not be as per the instructions you posted ( ha we knew it was not going to be straight forward ! )

but first try inverting only pin 1 (EN ) as it could be working in reverse , although i doubt it ... , but the fact you can get the motors to go solid is a good sign .
and may be just that the timings are way out

looking at your hal file you appear to have high step and direction times , step times of 5000 ns & direction times of 20000 ns should be a happy starting point with these drives
so try altering the timings first , see attached files and in particular the step and direction timings

but if you feel the connections may be wrong here's a few more

here's another few pin combinations to try using stepconf
pin2 relay ( spindle on )
pin1 x dir
pin16 x step
pin7 y dir
pin14 y step
pin 6 z dir
pin3 z step
pin8 a dir
pin 9 a step

also here is another pin combination to try

pin1 x step
pin2 y enable
pin3 y direction
pin4 z direction
pin5 z step
pin6 z enable
pin 7 x direction
pin 8 y step
pin 14 x enable
pin16 relay ( spindle )

can you confirm that this is a 3 Axis board or is it a 4 or 5 Axis ,

File Attachment:

File Name: TB6560.gz
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Aug 2012 08:19 by cncbasher.

More
30 Aug 2012 12:11 #23766 by gmaranda
Hi!

It is a 3 axis board. I have already tried inverting pin1 and nothing happened. I will be trying your configurations.

tks again for helping us

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds