Compiling on Debian Wheezy

More
17 Aug 2013 01:07 #37760 by tatel
Hi, first post here.

I want to control my CNC mill (sherline) with linuxcnc. I don't have any experience on machining but expect to get quite a lot of fun from it.

I don't like the livecd because I'm a long-time debian user ;). I'm a long-time rt-audio user too, so I usually get vanilla kernel sources, apply rt-patches, etc. I want to continue compiling my rt-kernels.

But, this time, it's becoming a nightmare. Could you guys give me some answers?

1- Is linuxcnc able to work whit the rt-kernels audio users are accustomed to?

2- If so, which is better... RTAI or those out-of-the-box kernels

3- I tried compiling a RTAI-kernel several times and failed... it does give me compilation errors about not found files, solved that by downgrading to gcc-4.6 only to get other errors. What I would is to build the stable branch at first. I did read wiki info about lenny/squueze whithout success and found some contradictory infos while googling. I checked out the git repository to get the stable branch. I installed RTAI package from apt. Both seem to give instructions about compiling rtai modules exclusively, but I see I need a running rt kernel before this. Could you say which kernel version -vanilla or debianized- is to be used. Which are the patches to be applied to it? Which is the right gcc version for it?

TIA,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2013 09:23 #37772 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Compiling on Debian Wheezy
You really need to be on the dev maillist and or IRC to talk to the people most up on this.

Most of the 'Hard core' dev don't look here.

Chris M

More
17 Aug 2013 15:25 #37779 by tatel
Replied by tatel on topic Compiling on Debian Wheezy
OK, thank you.

Ciao,

Roman

More
18 Aug 2013 05:55 #37791 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Compiling on Debian Wheezy

I don't like the livecd because I'm a long-time debian user ;). I'm a long-time rt-audio user too, so I usually get vanilla kernel sources, apply rt-patches, etc. I want to continue compiling my rt-kernels.,

This is probably the page for you:

static.mah.priv.at/public/UnifiedBuild.html

More
18 Aug 2013 14:42 #37800 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Compiling on Debian Wheezy
Hi

Could you say which kernel version -vanilla or debianized- is to be used. Which are the patches to be applied to it? Which is the right gcc version for it?

The consolidated 3.5.7 kernel, with the patch from magma using gcc 4.4 or 4.6 works just fine on Wheezy, I am running it now
(So does 3.4.55-1)

kernel straight from www.kernel.org

magma realtime build via cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.gna.org:/cvs/rtai co magma
patch is in base/arch/x86/patches

You will need the unified-build branch of the master that Andy pointed to, to build Linuxcnc against these 2

It is non trivial, but if you are used to building from sources, quite straight forward

regards

More
18 Aug 2013 17:32 #37803 by tatel
Wow! Very informative links and hints.

Tank you all very, very much.

I already compiled 2.6.32-rtai kernel from precise repository, but it's still untested. Time to play a little bit.

Best wishes,
Roman

More
18 Aug 2013 17:44 #37804 by tatel
By the way, that 2.6.32 kernel from precise repository compiled whit gcc-4.4 and I needed to disable ubutu third party modules since one of them was giving a CFLAGS-related error.

Ciao,

More
18 Aug 2013 19:03 #37809 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Compiling on Debian Wheezy

By the way, that 2.6.32 kernel from precise repository compiled whit gcc-4.4 and I needed to disable ubutu third party modules since one of them was giving a CFLAGS-related error.

I would not bother with the Ubuntu kernel, they seem to mess up everything they touch.
The stock 2.6.37 kernel for instance compiles in a rtai build just fine and has support for hardware that 2.6.32 does not

Attached is a basic config file for rtai kernels, just change the name to .config
You will need to change cpu details (number type etc) and probably disable a lot of the power management but it will give a base to start from

All you need to do with the magma config is enable maths, and C99 and set the number of cpus

regards

File Attachment:

File Name: rtai.kerne...nfig.txt
File Size:109 KB
Attachments:

More
19 Aug 2013 17:38 #37837 by tatel
Hi,

Vanilla 3.5.7 kernel compiled fine. I'll try your .config if necessary. Thank you very much.

But i'm getting errors with magma. .

/configure says:

checking for RTAI Kconfig file... configure: error: Kconfig-file ./base/arch/x86/defconfig not found -- --with-kconfig-file sets Kconfig file

I did read the README.INSTALL file and wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Debian...-Rt_Compile_LinuxCNC. Both seem t be about vulcano, which I guess is another branch, right?

magma's ./configure --help does not give any clue about that --with-threads parameter. It does not seem to have any autoconf.sh. I feel I'm messing up simple things.

This is what I have done so far:

Downloaded stock 3.5.7 kernel
Downladed magma
Kernel patched, configured and compiled fine.
Got stuck with magma and somewhat confused about vulcano-magma
Tried the usual path ./configure;make

Do I need to download something more?
Could you elaborate some little more about magma compilation?

Best wishes

More
19 Aug 2013 17:54 #37838 by tatel
OK, I located that Kconfig file and passed it to configure using --with-kconfig-file.

Now I'm getting this:
/usr/src/magma/base/include/asm/rtai_emulate_tsc.h:45:62: error: missing binary operator before token "("

Ciao,

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds