Compiling on Debian Wheezy

More
21 Aug 2013 07:45 #37913 by tatel
Replied by tatel on topic Compiling on Debian Wheezy

tatel

I have now built a SMP version of 3.5.7-rtai and a Uni-processor version too, which seems to work very well.

There is a query regards the RTAI / magma repos and whether they were altered by a recent commit.
I will be testing that tomorrow, for now have used copies of previous pulls.

If you PM me, I can send you a URL for the configs and a zipped copy of the pulls.

You may have to bear with me for a bit, one of my email servers has gone down at present

regards

:woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2013 13:24 #37950 by tatel
Hi all,

I got a 2.6.32-11-rtai kernel running, in wheezy, this time using vanilla sources and rtai-source from apt.

It has been very instructive. It turns out that I need to boot with "lapic" If not, I get errors about permissions to load module, unknown symbol, rtf3, etc that, IIRC, got in the first build with 3.5.7/magma.

Some work with symbolic links resolved the issue of change from /usr/include/gnu to /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/gnu

/usr/share/doc/rtai-source/Readme.Debian is instructive but the command

fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image modules_image

didn't worked for me. It failed at modules image, so installed the new kernel package, rebooted, then in /usr/src/modules/rtai did the usual configure;make, install and got directory /usr/lib/realtime. But it didn't worked until reboot with "lapic"

@ArcEye: I Already PMailed you

Best regards

More
22 Aug 2013 15:32 - 22 Aug 2013 15:33 #37952 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Compiling on Debian Wheezy
Hi

Glad you are making progress

Not received your PM, but email server has been playing up.

Probably not now necessary, I have built the latest pulls of magma and rtai and both work

magma is at fetchable with
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.gna.org:/cvs/rtai co magma

The ShabbyX repo of RTAI 3.9.1 built to work with linuxcnc can be cloned with
git clone github.com/ShabbyX/RTAI RTAI

For the unified-build-candidate of linuxcnc
git clone git://git.linuxcnc.org/git/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
git checkout -b unified-build-candidate-2

My SMP .config for 3.5.7 is on a previous post

My UP .config for 3.5.7 is here

File Attachment:

File Name: config-3.5...i-UP.txt
File Size:124 KB

The essential part, apart from disabling SMP and choosing the exact processor type, is to enable APIC and APIC IO
This seems a bit counter intuitive, certainly it was not enabled in the 2.6.24-16 kernel with Hardy, but it is required by magma and
the build will error and not work without it.

I have been testing my UP 3.5.7 kernel on a P4 2.4GHz moving metal.
The only problem I have encountered is that the system is not as light as Hardy and even with lightdm and icewm, windowing events, mouse moves etc are creating latency spikes not
previously seen.
This will be because I am using the on-board video chip, which I could get away with on Hardy.
I have ordered a cheap secondhand AGP video card, which should hopefully remove that problem

Even without it, on automatic movement tests on my lathe, with 3000mm/min rapids and 100mm/s/s acceleration, over 20 minutes, completed without any missed steps or RT warnings.

Hopefully I have future-proofed my old computers

regards
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Aug 2013 15:33 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tatel

More
22 Aug 2013 21:06 #37972 by tatel
Well, finally I got linuxcnc running on 3.5.7-rtai

Thank you all and specially ArcEye. You have been helpful.

I'm using RTAI not magma.

Im getting latency spikes about 500000 ns, tried to use smiset but failed (rtai_smi.ko not found). I see that modules directory is not very well set, I guess this has to be done at ./configure.

Time to relax

Regards

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds