Trouble getting 2.3.0 to run

More
16 May 2009 21:17 #276 by acondit
I just upgraded my cnc-router from 2.2.8 on dapper to 2.3.0 on Hardy.
I got my monitor resolution problem fixed but now I can't get emc2 to run.

First, I tried running from my 2.2.8 config. I fixed the motion-inpos to in-position change but after fixing that change when it started emc2 the whole system froze. and I had to power down and reboot to get the system back.

Next I tried using creating a config using stepconf from an existing config, and same problem. When I started emc2, the system froze and I had to power down.

So then I created a new config using stepconf, and still no joy in Mudville. Upon starting emc2, the system froze and I had to power down to reboot.

By the way, I also reformatted the disk and reinstalled 8.04 a second time and repeated the above steps with the same results.

Has anybody got any suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2009 07:48 #278 by alex_joni
Does emc2 run ok from the LiveCD?
It might be some hardware that doesn't work with 8.04. Or maybe there is some hardware driver interfering.
The best would have been to stay on 6.06 and only update emc2 to 2.3.x

Regards,
Alex

More
18 May 2009 02:58 #290 by acondit
I'm already running 8.04 on my Lathe and I really wanted to get both machines running the same version.

I tried downgrading to 2.2.8 and it wouldn't run either on Hardy. Then I tried running the 2.3.0 LiveCD and the 2.2.2 LiveCd (Hardy versions) and neither one of them would run from the CD. So it is clearly related to EMC2 on 8.04. I say EMC2 on 8.04 because everything else that I tried under 8.04 on my machine works fine.

Do you think it would be worth trying to compile EMC2 on my machine?

Alan

More
18 May 2009 11:16 #292 by BigJohnT
It may not have anything to do with your problem but I recall some hardware turns on desktop effects by default. Desktop effects honks up opengl. It is under System/Preferences/Appearance on the Visual Effects tab.

Also did you try a tkemc sample config?

Do you happen to have another video card you can try?

John

More
18 May 2009 14:47 #294 by acondit
John,

I have desktop effects turned off. I don't have another video card, I bought this one to deal with the latency problem of the on board video.

I will try an tkemc sample config when I get home later today.

By the way, I believe that my CPU is an AMD Duron, 1.6 gHz processor, I can't find the board manual at the moment. I don't know whether that could affect anything or not. I also am running a second parallel port, but I tried configs using just the onboard port also with no joy.

I am grasping at straws at the moment.

Alan

More
18 May 2009 18:16 #302 by alex_joni
acondit wrote:

Do you think it would be worth trying to compile EMC2 on my machine?

Not at all. You won't gain anything from compiling emc2.
Your safest way would probably to switch back to 6.06 and emc2-2.3.0

Maybe you can post some logs of a failed system (in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages), maybe there is something interesting there..

Regards,
Alex

More
18 May 2009 19:35 #303 by acondit
Alex,

The problem with going back, as I understand it, is that it is only a temporary fix. My understanding was that 2.4 will no longer support 6.06. Besides, I already have one machine running 8.04, and I really prefer to only have to support one OS version.

I will try to look at the system logs, but I thought since the machine froze, it was likely that the logs weren't updated.

Alan

More
19 May 2009 00:17 - 19 May 2009 00:19 #304 by acondit
Here are the relevant portions of the syslog file and the messages files for an attempt to run emc2 from start upto the point of restart (via reset).

File Attachment:

File Name: messages.txt
File Size:23 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 May 2009 00:19 by acondit. Reason: add files

More
19 May 2009 00:21 #305 by acondit
OK, I guess you can only attach one file to a message.

so here is the other:

File Attachment:

File Name: syslog.txt
File Size:58 KB
Attachments:

More
19 May 2009 04:23 - 19 May 2009 04:26 #306 by acondit
BigJohnT wrote:

Also did you try a tkemc sample config?

John

John,

I tried a config just changing "axis" to "tkemc" and it ran without a problem. So that seems to narrow it down considerably. To me that seems to say that there is a change in the way "axis" functions on 8.04 that is different than the way it functions on 6.06. Not necessarily something within "axis" itself, but likely in the calls that it makes to something within 8.04 (like python, tk/tcl, opengl or such). Does that sound reasonable to you?

Next step would seem to be to identify exactly what is causing the problem. Oh joy!

Alan
Last edit: 19 May 2009 04:26 by acondit. Reason: More info

Time to create page: 0.348 seconds