Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
13 Apr 2018 16:44 #108952 by dbanks
After installation of linuxcnc obviously, right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2018 16:48 #108953 by andypugh

Can you use the Action -> Quote option when replying, and leave some context in? It is not at all easy to tell what this question refers to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dbanks

More
13 Apr 2018 17:23 #108955 by dbanks

Can you use the Action -> Quote option when replying, and leave some context in? It is not at all easy to tell what this question refers to.

I absolutely thought quick replying worked in that manner, sorry about that!

More
13 Apr 2018 19:02 #108960 by InMyDarkestHour

When selecting the kernel, I get a VFS Unable to mount root fs error now.

Please quote any error messages given by the kernel verbatim. Doing so will help in being to address the actual issue.

Now this issue has been addressed twice, by thang and myself in previous threads. If you go back through your many other postings you will find replies as why the kernel can not mount a the root filesystem and suggestions as to how to remedy this issue.

More
13 Apr 2018 22:00 #108972 by Grotius
Hi,

I am trying to follow this tutorial also for 64 bit system linux mint 18.3 Cinnamon. Just to compare the different linux distribution's.
My compliment's for cncnoob ! He has made a very nice tutorial.

What i did not know is about the .deb option's. I am trying this out. If it works, i looks to me like the simplest and orginal way.

Also if you have a good 64 bit kernel version .deb setup file, you can put it for download to other's also in combination with .deb linuxcnc install's for 64 bit version's for using with Draftsight.

If i put a good working example of different .deb files for linux 64 bit on a ftp server. Then the installation can be done fast with the syntapic manager or am i thinking not in the right way?

More
13 Apr 2018 23:27 #108980 by rodw
Personally, I don't think building a deb after compiling from source is the right way to go unless you are distributing the source to customers for installation.

In my view, the real strength that comes from compilation is using Run in Place. The reason why I say this is that it is so easy to upgrade your configuration or use another experimental branch and recompile using git. (or swap between master and V2.7 or keep different versions on your computer in different folders) I think there are only 4 lines to type at the console.

Now you have learnt how to compile LinuxCNC, the next part of your LinuxCNC journey should now be to learn how to create your own git repository and how to rebase it with master branch. That way, you can build your adaptive feed addons and always keep it current with the LCNC code base. I can't help you with that.

BTW, I installed Linux Mint on my Windows Laptop yesterday and hope to say goodbye to Microsoft forever very soon. My biggest problem was getting the DisplayLink external monitor installed, but eventually it was easy and everything seems supported perfectly now (even Bluetooth which MS broke years ago).

More
13 Apr 2018 23:49 - 13 Apr 2018 23:55 #108981 by Grotius
@Hi Rodw,

About the .deb files placed at ftp server to add to reprository manually.
If we have the example of mr. dbanks, he would be happy with only add some files in the synapic manager to get his
64 bit application working. I think if we set this up good, it will take him about 60 minutes to run linuxcnc on 64 bit version.

a linuxcnc Run in place version i use for adaptive feed. This is very nice. But if i can make this in .deb i would be happy.

The git, i think comes later in the process.

I know Microsoft will end up some day. Israel and Us have made the best virus with the microsoft source code, it was for attacking
the nuclear power plant of Iran.

About the kernel, this is working. Tomorrow i will bring a question about one file in the .deb serie's that is not working and why not?
Also i want to know if it is possible to boot up withou any boot up message's. This looks proffesional.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 23:55 by Grotius.

More
14 Apr 2018 00:11 #108982 by rodw

@
Also i want to know if it is possible to boot up withou any boot up message's. This looks proffesional.

Try this....
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=225525

When I first installed Mint, this was how it worked but when I added a different kernel, from memory, the grub menu appeared.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

More
14 Apr 2018 12:29 #108996 by Grotius
Hi,

I just installed the linuxversion from .deb
To my suprise i only had to install glade-gtk2 after that via the synapic package manager.

All the glade widget's are present without doing anything, so very very good !!!

More
14 Apr 2018 17:55 - 14 Apr 2018 17:56 #109002 by Grotius
Here i have all the .deb files for Mr. Dbanks. Kernel + Linuxcnc
Install first the kernel files, after that the linuxcnc files, by clicking the files, it auto installs via package manager.

wetransfer

Later on i will make a permanent solution on my ftp server.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2018 17:56 by Grotius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InMyDarkestHour

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds