Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
07 May 2018 10:38 #110321 by InMyDarkestHour
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aklinahs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2018 15:23 #110329 by Aklinahs
'm trying to install linux cnc to ubuntu 16.04 64bit...
now im at this step

sudo apt-get update
cd linuxcnc-dev
cd debian
./configure uspace [ or ./configure -r]
cd ..
dpkg-checkbuilddeps

when i entering this line ./configure uspace im getting an error saying

unknown distribution: Ubuntu-16.04
configuration may be wrong!
successfully configured for 'uspace-Ubuntu-16.04'-'uspace'..

What could be the error

More
07 May 2018 17:20 #110330 by cncnoob1979
You need to enable source code repositories.

I cover this in the first page of threads. I also posted pictures.

The unknown configuration issue maybe the distribution is unknown.

You should still be ok. Try it out and see.

More
08 May 2018 06:26 - 08 May 2018 06:27 #110368 by Aklinahs
guys i have done the installation according to post 2 , now what to do ? how can i run linuxcnc.
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 May 2018 06:27 by Aklinahs.

More
12 May 2018 10:35 #110596 by bkt
. ./scripts/rip-environment

on some wiki/hoto (not these that is well done) the point is not well placed the right one is "point, pace, point,slach, scripts, slash, rip-environments" only ... not double point at the end or other only 2 point with one space between.

After these command:
linuxcnc

At these point axis gui window will be opened.

regards
giorgio

More
12 May 2018 15:04 - 12 May 2018 15:11 #110602 by Grotius
Hi K1,

Nice avatar !! Pinquin kenobi...

For run linux in place, the exact typing command is very strange indeed, for me in beginning also very confusing :

. ./rip-environment ( dot space dot / rip-environment )
linuxcnc

Sector 1:
in code :
. ./rip-environment 
linuxcnc

In picture :

I see Aklinahs is installing lintian.... There is no ask for " sudo make setuid " ... So that is different from orginal linuxcnc install.
No experience for me so far with lintian.

I would prefer first command after compiling would be : sudo make setuid
After that change to scrips directory and type sector 1.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 May 2018 15:11 by Grotius.

More
13 May 2018 02:34 - 13 May 2018 02:35 #110629 by InMyDarkestHour
Last edit: 13 May 2018 02:35 by InMyDarkestHour. Reason: Stupid me forgot to include linkl

More
13 May 2018 02:40 #110630 by InMyDarkestHour

Hi K1,
I see Aklinahs is installing lintian.... There is no ask for " sudo make setuid " ... So that is different from orginal linuxcnc install.
No experience for me so far with lintian.

I would prefer first command after compiling would be : sudo make setuid
After that change to scrips directory and type sector 1.

Methinks, with paranoia, that Aklinahs maybe doing an assessment.......as his very first post was for someone to write a complete HOWTO on installing linuxcnc in ubuntu 16.04, there was no searching the forum for this at all, otherwise he would have found a couple of discussions regarding this.

But I'm old & grumpy :evil:

More
13 May 2018 04:02 - 13 May 2018 04:02 #110640 by curtisa
...or he's just a Linux novice like a lot of people here and just needed that last bit of help to get him over the line.

As much as I love LinuxCNC, as a Linux beginner I do sometimes find it frustrating that to install a bit of software on the OS generally takes a few more jumps than just double-clicking on 'setup.exe'. This can be further complicated when you just want to run the mill rather than spend a few days being an impromptu computer programmer trying to get the software to install in the first place.

While I eventually got LCNC to install on Mint 18.1 by following post 3 in this thread (for which I am eternally grateful to cncnoob1979 for his efforts in putting the tutorial together), it didn't go entirely according to the wording of the instructions and I still had to jump back and forth to this thread a few times to find out where I was getting stuck.

If you're more used to installing stuff in Windows, then the initial culture shock of Linux takes a bit of effort getting used to. Dependencies? Building? Git-cloning? Why can't I just download 'installer.msi' and click on it? :lol:

...Just the ramblings of somebody on the other side of the 'Window' look in. ;)
Last edit: 13 May 2018 04:02 by curtisa.

More
13 May 2018 04:30 #110641 by InMyDarkestHour
I tend to disagree, every issue he came up against was a question to forum, where as most of them could be resolved by searching.
Spend time on any electronics forum and just wait for the lazy ones to try and get other's to do their home work in a round about way.

No one is born able to use Linux.

And hey it's a hell of a lot easier to use now than 20 odd years ago. Debian\Ubuntu\Mint and other debian based distros make installing software almost as easy as Windows. Geesh installing via rpm's was dependency hell.

Even know my favourite all time distro doesn't have any dependency checking......but ldd and google really help.

For fun grab a '486 with 16MB install Redhat 6 and wait for X windows to start.

Git & Building software isn't particular to Linux.

Actually if you follow the instructions at the beginning of the thread it works, admittedly kernel.org no longer hosting ftp is a bit of a blah, but even that can be worked out by a quick google search. Unknown host is an issue that can be resolved by google. Trying to connect to ftp.kernel.org would be an issue on any platform.

And I bet someone who had never used Windows, either from a MAC or Linux\Unix background would have issues with learning that OS.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds