Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
13 May 2018 06:51 - 13 May 2018 06:52 #110655 by curtisa

No one is born able to use Linux.

And hey it's a hell of a lot easier to use now than 20 odd years ago. Debian\Ubuntu\Mint and other debian based distros make installing software almost as easy as Windows. Geesh installing via rpm's was dependency hell.

Yes, I remember spending some time at a similar period trying to get into Linux too, tempted by the possibility that I might be able to start using a 'free' alternative to Cubase for recording music ( Ardour ). The convoluted installation process however made it entirely unappealing at the time.

So yes, I agree that installation of packages under Linux is a lot simpler than it has ever been. Even so, I would think most people with above-average computer literacy skills would still view a dry installation of Mach 3 in XP as a much simpler task than a dry install of LCNC under Mint or Ubuntu 16.04 or Debian etc. The fact that this tutorial exists at all would indicate as much.

I guess what I'm saying is don't judge the novice users too harshly for asking some questions about the process. I'm a relative newcomer to Linux too and had to make a few educated guesses and searches about what I was doing in order to get this tutorial to just 'work'. For all we know, English may not be Aklinahs native language and wading through a 46-page thread to find out why ftp://kernal.org doesn't work anymore may not be particularly easy for him.
Last edit: 13 May 2018 06:52 by curtisa.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2018 07:20 #110656 by InMyDarkestHour
Actually if you install Linuxcnc from the supplied iso (which installs the OS and Linuxcnc suite) it is quicker and easier than installing XP & than Mach3.

And don't forget to do everything Legally (ie no dodgy copy of XP or Win2k) and to have restricted cnc controller software Linux is the alternative. And the free alternative as well. Yes you can Mach3 without buying a license but that restircts you too 50 lines of gcode. GRBL is another free alternative but it lacks many many features.

There is no need to read thru 46 page thread as to why ftp.kernel.org doesn't work.....a Google search turns up that info rather quickly.

The tutorial is spot on the money if you carefully follow the directions, one of the better written tutorials out there, in just about any subject. It's quite impressive.

More
01 Jun 2018 16:35 #111394 by AGK
Hello cncnoob1979, you write:

Use this instead;
git clone git://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev EDIT:.

I tried but I get this message: fatal: unable to connect to github.com

What can I do?

More
01 Jun 2018 18:16 #111401 by andypugh

More
01 Jun 2018 19:59 #111410 by AGK
No sorry, now a other message. I type in the terminal "git clone git://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev" Now I get:

fatal remote error:
Repository not found.

the help.github tells (help.github.com/articles/error-repository-not-found/) Check your spelling, Checking your permissions, Check your SSH access, Check that the repository really exists

More
01 Jun 2018 20:42 #111412 by andypugh
I don't know why you would need ssh access. Unfotunately I _do_ have the SSH keys set up for that repository as I am a developer and need that. So can't really test.

Just for fun, and it probably won't help: sudo git clone ...

The repository definitely exists.

More
01 Jun 2018 21:18 #111413 by PCW
Works for me also (copy pasted the git clone line from above) and I don't have SSH keys setup

I suspect AGK has some internet access issues

More
01 Jun 2018 21:26 #111414 by andypugh

More
01 Jun 2018 22:23 #111419 by AGK
See: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Translation ; 2. Configure Git
For what is this:
Open a terminal and do the following with your name and email:
git config --global user.name "Your full name"
git config --global user.email "This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it."

More
02 Jun 2018 00:26 #111422 by InMyDarkestHour
Try this, just to check your ability to connect:
git clone git://github.com/zultron/smictrl.git
or this form
git clone https://github.com/zultron/smictrl.git
It's a small repository and should not take long to clone.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds