Synaptic pkg error when attempting upgrade from 2.70 to 2.7.8

More
07 Mar 2017 01:19 #89120 by dokwine
I'm running the Deb Wheezy 2.7 ISO - installed no problem. Running (as far as Ive taken it so far) no problem. But when I try to update to 2.7.8 Synaptic throws:

"Failed to fetch linuxcnc.org/dists/wheezy/Release Unable to find expected entry '2.7.8-rtai/source/Sources' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

Indeed when I look there I do not see 2.7.8 - only 2.7. I'm sure I'm missing something basic; could someone give me a pointer in the right direction?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2017 13:09 - 07 Mar 2017 13:12 #89134 by cncnoob1979
Have you tried to reset your internet connection? Or tired more than once?

If you are just trying to upgrade you could just download the .deb from here [looking for the latest release]
linuxcnc.org/dists/wheezy/2.7-rtai/binary-i386/ [32bit]

That should get you going short term. Look in synaptic package manager, under sources see what is listed for your sources. You might need to add the source if not there already [or listed incorrectly/possibly with white space?]

The instructions are here. buildbot.linuxcnc.org/
Last edit: 07 Mar 2017 13:12 by cncnoob1979.

More
07 Mar 2017 18:36 #89147 by tommylight
You need to update package list before you try to upgrade. It is in synaptics, just click on it and wait till it finishes, then mark for upgrade and aply.

More
07 Mar 2017 18:48 - 07 Mar 2017 18:51 #89149 by cncnoob1979
Ha!

Good catch, did not think about the possibility that he hadn't updated sources listing since the install.

Here is a way via terminal/console:
sudo apt-get update

then you can type
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
To update all available packages listed in synaptic.

manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/zesty/en/man8/apt-get.8.html
Last edit: 07 Mar 2017 18:51 by cncnoob1979.

More
07 Mar 2017 20:16 - 07 Mar 2017 20:18 #89160 by dokwine
Thanks for the suggestions, but no joy. Yes, my internet connection is good and I have tried multiple times. I have been trying to update the package list and I believe this is where the problem is. with synaptic during the attempted package update I get the error above. With the suggested command line update I get:
"W: Failed to fetch linuxcnc.org/dists/wheezy/Release Unable to find expected entry '2.7.8-rtai/source/Sources' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)"

When I look in ../wheezy/Release I see lots of 2.7 packages but nothing labeled 2.7.8.

Is 2.7.8 within the 2.7 package? If so, what is the source of the list that apt and synaptic are using directing it to 2.7.8-rtai...

Sorry, I come at this from primarily a Unix background with little direct experience with Debian (yet :)
Last edit: 07 Mar 2017 20:18 by dokwine. Reason: garbled error message transcription

More
07 Mar 2017 20:25 #89162 by tommylight
Did you edit the sources list manualy?
On that distribution you should not edit anything at all, just update and install the new version.
Even if you want to get master, there is nothing to edit, there are enties already there in synaptic sources.

More
07 Mar 2017 20:39 #89164 by dokwine
No, I did not edit the the sources list. Not even sure where it lives exactly yet - just wanted to check since both synaptic and command line are complaining that the 2.7.8-rtai... is not found.

More
07 Mar 2017 20:58 #89167 by tommylight
linuxcnc.org/dists/wheezy/2.7-rtai/binary-i386/

at the very bottom you have the .deb package for the 2.7.8, download and open with gdebi ( right click on it, on the menu there should be gdebi package installer).
Let us know how it goes.

More
07 Mar 2017 21:16 #89169 by dokwine
:( no gdebi. Think I'll try to track that down. I think I used apt -R when I was installing vnc but gdebi sounds like it'll save some time in the future.

More
07 Mar 2017 22:25 #89176 by tommylight
Sorry, my bad, no gdebi in wheezy, but there should be a package installer there for sure, choose that, please.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds