installing Debian 7 on a uefi only system (chuwi hibox)

More
16 Apr 2017 19:26 #91471 by trilobyte
i bought a miniPC (Chuwi HiBox)
www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_590406.html

this would be a very interesting comuter for a cnc machine. smal, complete with all what i need for driving the 7i76e, but:

this is a new pice and the "bios" is working with EFI only.
out of the box came this little computer with different partitions. a dual boot menue was installed to choose between android 5 and windwos 10.
i made a bootable usb flash drive (using win32DiskImager) with Linuxmint 18.1
i installed mint (setup used the whole internal flash drive)

after that i tryed to install an older linux version. since i formated the internal flash drive of the chuwi hibox, the "bios" doesn't see the internal disks anymore.

next problem: if i try to install debian 7 then i have the problem that i can only choose the usb flash drive to install linux. the internal disk is not available.

i download the android and win images and installed the system as it was bevor my actions.
i see now in the "bios" the internal partitons an i can choose them to boot, but i'm still not able to choose the internal 64GB disk to install debian 7 on it.

what can i doo to solve this problem?

i was not able to compile linuxcnc and the requiered kernel. this is the reason why i try to install debian 7 with the preemtive kernel.

peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2017 21:02 #91476 by tommylight
I think i read somewhere here that debian wheezy and preempt kernel do not work properly, but i never tested it.
That is not important in your case as debian wheezy will not work on UEFI boot, and there is the issue of latency, i can not find anyone here on the forum that has actually used it.
If all else fails, you can install and run Linux from a usb drive easily, it will take longer to boot but not by much, and if you have a fast USB3 drive it be will very fast. Just install as usual, you will need 2 USB drives, one for the Linux Mint and the other used as a hard drive.

More
16 Apr 2017 21:22 #91477 by PCW
Debian Wheezy runs fine with a Preempt-RT kernel (I have a LinuxCNC test station with > 1 year uptime
running our Ethernet cards with this combination)

However, 32 bit Debian 7 with its included ancient kernel is likely to have endless problems on such new hardware
I would start with 64 bit Mint 17.3 (or 18.1 if 17.3 does not work) and add the latest 64 bit Preempt-RT kernel (4.9.20-rt16)

Note that it will be slow going compiling a new kernel on that hardware
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Apr 2017 22:03 #91479 by grump
I am using Debian stretch LXDE-core, kernel-image 4.9.0-1-amd64 with no issues.
I posted about it here forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-just-playing-around
download version2 and have fun.

More
16 Apr 2017 22:27 #91482 by tommylight

Debian Wheezy runs fine with a Preempt-RT kernel (I have a LinuxCNC test station with > 1 year uptime
running our Ethernet cards with this combination)

I was sure i read something about it i just could not recall what exactly.
Thank you, Peter.

More
16 Apr 2017 23:13 #91485 by PCW
It may be the the stock Wheezy Preempt-RT kernel has issues,
but building an up-to-date Preempt-RT kernel is easy (and my Wheezy test system is running 4.1.xx)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Apr 2017 23:22 #91486 by tommylight
I have most computers on Mint 17.2 and 18.1, last night i did a Lubuntu install on a IBM T42 laptop, works quite nicely, had Ubuntu 10.04 on it.

More
17 Apr 2017 20:43 - 17 Apr 2017 20:46 #91541 by trilobyte
i've done some tests. i think i have two problems.

1. I can install debian 7 or the actual live linuxcnc live image. in this case i'm able to get the 7i76e running with the preemtive kernel.

2. i can install mint 18.1 -> this is no problem to install on the HiBox. But if i try to go true the tutorial "Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb" at one point during the operations the computer freezes an i have do do a hard reset. this is at the moment not an option. i tryed this procedure on another machine and it worked.

Problem with debian 7: i can boot with the debian setup because there is an EFI in the Image. but if i boot this image, i can't install linux on the internal disk. during debian 7 setup i can't see this 64GB drive.
i think it can work with an live image. but these deb 7 live images don't have an EFI in the Image and i'm not able to boot with these images!
i suspect that it is possible to install on the internal disk if i can boot the live image and start the setup from this running system

hmm... any proposals?

is it possible to install debian 7 from a running live linuxmint 18.1?
Last edit: 17 Apr 2017 20:46 by trilobyte.

More
17 Apr 2017 21:14 #91546 by PCW
Where exactly does the linuxCNC install on Mint18.1 fail?

More
18 Apr 2017 21:05 #91599 by trilobyte
i made s screenshot with my camera because the chuwi hibox stocked at this point. i can't move the mouse.

i run the commands in the textfile. the problem occurs every time at the same point.

what can i do? can i complile the kernel on another machine?

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds