Latency and Wifi problem

More
15 Aug 2017 13:38 #97512 by joel0407
Hey guys,

Before I start.

Yes I read this:https://forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/9-installing-linuxcnc/26068-latency-fix-wifi-driver-auto-loadunload

That's great but I copy a Gcode file via Wifi, start LinuxCNC, run then I need the next Gcode file for the same piece. Maybe I copy the drilling, clearing then outside contour. Problem is I can't exit LinuxCNC each time as I'll loose G54. So that counts this solution out.

I tried this: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RealTime

That gets my latency down from 12,000 to 4,000.

Now my problem. When I run the latency test, it will sit at 4,000 or 12,000 depending if I'm using the above settings or not. Then all of a sudden, it'll jump to 75,000. The time it takes to jump might be 15 seconds or 2 seconds after I hit reset values. I managed to stop this by removing the WiFi card. I also have a USB WiFi adapter that I couldn't get to work.

So I've narrowed it down to the pci WiFi card but haven't found a solution.

I'm wondering if anyone has one working and what they did to get it to work without the latency spikes.

Happy Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2017 13:55 #97514 by joel0407
Replied by joel0407 on topic Latency and Wifi problem
According the this:
emc-users.narkive.com/CsirrOt0/wifi-hardware-for-linuxcnc

There might not be a fix. Just use an external wifi router. I can but it's messy.

More
15 Aug 2017 13:58 #97515 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Latency and Wifi problem
Why would you loose G54 when shutting down LCNC? I never do. I can run a job all day, shut everything down, next day power up everything and G54 offset is still there and active.

Cant comment on the wifi as I hate wifi and wire everything direct.

More
15 Aug 2017 20:23 #97531 by joel0407
Ok. I didn't know that. But I do know I'll loose home and since I manually home until at the moment then I'd be just guessing where it was.

Happy Days.

More
15 Aug 2017 22:25 #97534 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Latency and Wifi problem
What PC are you using?

With the USFF machines you cannot use the onboard wifi but an external USB wifi dongle works perfect.

More
15 Aug 2017 23:03 #97535 by joel0407

What PC are you using?

With the USFF machines you cannot use the onboard wifi but an external USB wifi dongle works perfect.

I have a Dell 780 with 2600 intel processor working fine. I couldn't get a USB WiFi adaptor to work after numerous attempts then I put in a WiFi card and it worked straight away. I thought I would add a video card to take the load of the processor and pickup some latency speed. Downside was the motherboard in the 780 only has one PCI slot which got taken up by the WiFi card.

My wife is currently using a Dell 980 with the same 2600 intel processor. Her's needs an upgrade and it has a PCI and mini PCI slot. I thought great, I'll upgrade her's and take the old one for the router.

The mini PCI slot is specifically for a WiFi card. So put that in and video card in the other slot and got latency down to 12,000 but then it would jump to 75000. I did the searching about changing a few things and got it down to 4000 but I couldn't stop it jumping to the 75000. Removing the WiFi card stopped the it instantly so I have no doubt it's the problem.

If I'm going to purchase another WiFi USB Dongle just to try, I'll buy a cheap single port router instead as it removes the problem from the machine. I'd prefer to keep it neat thought and have the WiFi contained in the PC. I just need to work out why it spikes the latency.

Happy Days

More
15 Aug 2017 23:12 #97536 by rodw
Just to help Ned Kelly out, I'm using a Asus Nano USB10 wifi dongle. I paid $20 ages ago
www.asus.com/au/Networking/USBN10_NANO/

There were some tricks getting it running on Debian and googling gave me the solution but on Linux Mint, it was supported out of the box.

More
15 Aug 2017 23:30 #97537 by joel0407

Just to help Ned Kelly out, I'm using a Asus Nano USB10 wifi dongle. I paid $20 ages ago

There were some tricks getting it running on Debian and googling gave me the solution but on Linux Mint, it was supported out of the box.

Searching.

More
15 Aug 2017 23:50 #97538 by rodw
This one, 1st method worked
wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_USB-N10_Nano

More
16 Aug 2017 13:32 - 16 Aug 2017 14:12 #97566 by joel0407

Thanks Rod, The WiFi USB Dongle worked straight up with Mint. Better video resolution as well.

Just working on getting LinuxCNC installed now. Following along here: forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/9-installing-li...linux-mint-with-rtai
Last edit: 16 Aug 2017 14:12 by joel0407.

Time to create page: 0.327 seconds