Intallation freeze (detecting linc eth0)

More
01 Oct 2017 17:10 #99740 by DanWah
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and just about to install linuxCNC. Unfortunately I stumbled on to troubles before I even got the chance to finish the installation. I'm completely new to linux by the way.

The installation freezes when it comes to: "detecting link on eth0; not ready".

I have a really old computer (10+ years), which I'm intending to use to control my CNC-project. On this computer I'm normally using windows XP. The computer is not connected to the internet (or any network at all)

I have another internet-connected computer where I have downloaded the linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy ISO file. This file I've put on a bootable USB flash drive via the program rufus. Thru this USB I've tried both the "installation graphical" and "installation text", as well as the live startup but it always gets stuck on the eth0 not ready. Nothing happens, and I have let it stay there for an hour. I did also try to connect a network cable to the computer and it still didn't work. (I have tried the network cable on another computer and it works just fine).

Anyone faced the same issue? I would prefer to keep this computer off the internet, but of course I can connect the cable if it's absolutely necessary. Again, I'm completely new on linux, but I would love some help in this jungle.

Thanks and best regards
Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2017 22:12 #99869 by andypugh
I think that the current LinuxCNC ISO actually _needs_ a network connection. (I don't think this was deliberate).

However, you say that you have tried that....

Does that computer connect with XP? (Probably too late to tell now if you are half-way through an installation).

A WiFi dongle might work. (if you have WiFi)

More
04 Oct 2017 19:55 #99936 by DanWah
Thank you for tips. Well I can still boot up on XP, but I didn't actually get any working internet connection on XP either. Didn't try too hard though. I believe I will have to set up an internet connection, not just plug in the cable? Since the operating system is so old? Didn't have the urge to work on that. I tried to just plug in the cable and start explorer, but it asks me to configure a call-up-connection or something like that. Yes I have wifi, and somewhere I actually think I should have an old wifi dongle as well. But before I start looking for that I thought maybe I should try with an older version instead. I found some older versions here: linuxcnc.org/iso/ and I've tried two of them (one of the 8.04 and one of the 10.04 files), but none of these worked either. They also gets freezed during the installtion, at different stages. Maybe it's something with the computer? Anyone knows a specific version which should go well with an old computer?

More
04 Oct 2017 20:30 #99940 by rodw
I would have thought that the current 2.7 ISO would install on old hardware. It certainly has for me but I have always plugged into a wired network with internet connectivity before running it. The only thought might be that if it is so old, it might have a 10 Mb ethernet port. The modern 10/100/1000 ethernet switches may not autosense this speed. I have had this problem on a zebra barcode printer and I had to configure the port on my switch to be 10 mb before it could establish a network connection. Took me ages to get to the bottom of that one!

More
04 Oct 2017 20:31 #99941 by Todd Zuercher
If the 8.04 and 10.04 versions won't run, I'd be inclined to say there is probably something wrong with the PC.
The current release version of Linuxcnc (2.7) will still run on installations made using the Ubuntu 10.04 version Linuxcnc iso. But it is my understanding that 2.7 will be the last to do so.
Check to make sure you don't have a dodgy HD, bad iso images, or a motherboard with bulging crappy caps.

More
04 Oct 2017 21:19 #99942 by DanWah
hmm strange... maybe i should try to find the wifi dongle and get back to 2.7 and give it a try again. But a maybe stupid question: if I connect the wifi dongle, will I need to get this working (install drivers, type in router password, etc) on xp before I start the linuxcnc installation? Otherwise how will the dongle work during installation if I haven't installed the drivers and provided the wifi password?

More
04 Oct 2017 21:37 #99943 by rodw
I won't say it is easy but it is possible to install drivers during a linux install. There is a way to drop to the command line. Of course, you could be lucky and your wifi is autosensed and it asks you to connect during the instal.

More
04 Oct 2017 22:00 #99945 by andypugh

hmm strange... maybe i should try to find the wifi dongle and get back to 2.7 and give it a try again. But a maybe stupid question: if I connect the wifi dongle, will I need to get this working (install drivers, type in router password, etc) on xp before I start the linuxcnc installation?

No, Linux should have the drivers (XP drivers are no use to Linux anyway) and ought to simply ask for a wifi password if it finds wifi hardware it can talk to.

General rule: Don't ever install supplier drivers unless it is clear that built-in Linux drivers can't see the hardware.

More
06 Oct 2017 16:36 #100018 by DanWah
Thanks a lot for support! I will go searching my storage for that old wi-fi dongle and give it a try!:)

More
07 Oct 2017 19:59 #100058 by DanWah
I actually found my old wifi dongle. Sadly enough it didn't help me though. I guess Linux didn't have drivers for this one. The thing is that previously the installation got freezed up at the "detecting linc on eth0: not ready", but before this thing in the installation it states "detecting network hardware" which goes quite quickly and then it jumps over to the "detecting link..." With the wifi-dongle insterted though, it got freezed up at "detecting network hardware" instead... I've also tried a bunch of the older versions and they don't worked either. I've also tried to swith the hard drive connector on the mother board (read about someone who had an installation problem solved by doing this), but there was no change.

If someone comes up with another idea of what could be wrong, please tell me.
Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds