DropBox and LinuxCNC;

More
03 Oct 2018 20:22 #118421 by C_M_H
DropBox and LinuxCNC; was created by C_M_H
Is anyone using Dropbox on their LinuxCNC machine?

I ask because I've recently gotten a notice that DropBox may longer work on my debian 7.11, ext4 file system. The notice gives links to Ubuntu and Fedora, but I don't see any info regarding Debian. Even if I did I suspect it would break my setup.

Will this affect anyone else? Does anyone have any work arounds?

DropBox has been great for me, as I was never able to reliably get my WIn PC, Mac, and Linux box to play nice on my local network.

Thanks,

Craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2018 21:31 #118425 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic DropBox and LinuxCNC;
Personally i do not use dropbox at all, i never did like it, way to invasive. I like my stuff to remain my stuff.
Also have a lot of public IP, so i set my own servers for whatever i may need them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: racedirector

More
04 Oct 2018 10:24 #118437 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic DropBox and LinuxCNC;
I must confess I'm on Tommy's side. Google Drive is a much better solution becasue you can edit office documents directly. I've got a Synology NAS on my network which syncs to Google drive and it also has a Dropbox cloud sync tool. This is much more efficient as you only have one copy of your drop box files for all PC's on your network sitting on your NAS. connecting to the NAS is simple on Windows and Linux, and I'm sure it is for mac as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Oct 2018 15:19 #118884 by Mike29
Replied by Mike29 on topic DropBox and LinuxCNC;
Hi,
Any update on resolving this as I'm now disconnected from my dropbox folder on my linuxcnc machine. Any help is appreciated without changing to Google drive.
Thank you

More
19 Oct 2018 18:04 #119085 by kiaw
Replied by kiaw on topic DropBox and LinuxCNC;
I am in the same boat. Dropbox works great for me between home and work. I've also used the linux dropbox folder on my home network to keep using dropbox on my old xp machine, so I want to get dropbox running again.
In the short term, I go to dropbox on the web and upload and download files. For a "permanent" solution , I'm going to upgrade to debian stretch. The live iso of linuxcnc works all right and supports the dropbox desktop application. My main issue with the new iso is that it has only Preempt RT, not RTAI. Currently I use RTAI and have latency under 5000, so software step generation is faster than my small mill. Latency for the Preempt RT is up around 20,000, so I'll probably be adding a parallel card, maybe the 5125? to work with my Gecko 540.

More
19 Oct 2018 23:39 #119093 by InMyDarkestHour
The Ubuntu version listed on the dropbox website appears to be the same version as here mentioned here:

forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...ws-7?start=40#111206

To be honest I haven't used dropbox since then, but at the time it was working when I did the install.

More
20 Oct 2018 14:13 #119121 by Mike29
Thanks for the feedback, I got Debian 9 with LinuxCNC to work in a virtual machine and now I'll try it on my actual CNC PC and let you know if it works.

More
24 Oct 2018 15:12 #119342 by Mike29
just to close this thread, I did get LinuxCNC to work on Debian 9 with Dropbox but still have some issues with controlling the spindle speed but will start a new thread on that item. Thanks all for the help.

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds