boot failure from 8.04 LiveCD

More
15 Aug 2010 20:18 #3766 by joe_helmick@comcast.net
When I attempt to boot from the 8.04 LiveCD, i get (after quite a long delay):

udevd-event[xxxx]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit

then a BusyBox prompt.

Funny thing, regular 8.04 runs like a champ on this machine. Can anyone help jump-start me? I just want to see what this machine's latency times are like to see if it would be an improvement over the 700MHz PIII I currently have running. So far, it isn't.

I've also tried running the Hardy .sh script that installs the RTAI, updated grub and fstab to correct the goofy UUID assigned instead of real drive designators, etc., but nothing seems to work. Kinda sad when it works on 10-year old hardware but not 1-year old hardware.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2010 07:16 #3820 by red_team316
I've made many LiveCD's in the past and 8.04 (K)Ubuntu and even more recent versions had bugs in the squashfs-tools package. From a clean install, using the debian squashfs-tools package 3.3-7 (installed manually, not thru the repository) has always solved the problem for me and tested on multiple computers. The general concept is this:
Always create the LiveCD image from the same environment that you are running, as a rule of thumb. The bug in squashfs and change to lzma soon thereafter caused problems in this area. The debian package was reverted to to solve the problem.

I am not sure how the EMC devs are creating the LiveCD although I have done dev work on Reconstructor in the past and am somewhat familiar with the process. The 8.04 LiveCD failed for me in this way also. I'm sure it has failed for many others too. I'm not nearly as experienced at compiling kernels so I have only built and tested EMC in the "demo" mode to see how it functions. I never bothered trying to rebuild the LiveCD as I well know that all packages must be installed properly in a chroot environment before that can even happen. I just didn't have the time...

Here is a link to a forum post made about the subject, unfortunately it's the only info I can still find on the subject of my own, but nonetheless contains a link to the proper 8.04 squashfs-tools package:
ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5908234&postcount=4

My suggestion is that an updated 10.04 LiveCD is made that hopefully does not exhibit these symptoms. I saw another post by BigJohnT explaining how to get it working on 10.04, so hopefully a LiveCD is not far off. I am in the process of building my own CNC currently so I do not have much time for the software side until it is built. I know Jeff and Chris are very smart, but may not be involved in the LiveCD, or just merely more experienced in the machinery/CAM. Whoever is in charge of the LiveCD, hopefully this doesn't fall on deaf ears.

-Jonathan

More
19 Aug 2010 10:31 #3822 by BigJohnT
I have a newer motherboard on my Hardinge and I had to install Ubuntu 8.04.4 as the LiveCD comes on 8.04.0. Then install EMC using the instructions on the wiki. There is a LiveCD in testing for 10.04 here .

John

More
20 Aug 2010 08:08 #3829 by M4MazakUser
did u try disabling onboard cards?

network, sound etc?

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds