Linuxcnc Mint 19.3 ISO

More
25 Oct 2020 20:38 - 25 Oct 2020 22:01 #187215 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic Linuxcnc Mint 19.3 ISO
This is the utility:
sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
Win32diskimager works and has done for years. I used to use it when I was an XP & Vista user. Many of us on the forum have used it successfully. I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't suitable. It wastes my time & wastes your time.

Here are some tips:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...19-3-linuxcnc#184773

Just had a look at the specs for the CPU of your board, if you are going to use the parallel port, Wheezy , even tho Wheezy is End of Life but still very usable, might be the better solution.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2020 22:01 by BeagleBrainz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2020 12:06 - 26 Oct 2020 12:06 #187300 by Muzzer
Replied by Muzzer on topic Linuxcnc Mint 19.3 ISO
I've got a 5i25 / 7i76 combo with LCNC 2.7.3. It works with the 4y old system on the bench already. I thought I'd update it to the current recommendation before getting busy with it but I seem to be getting nowhere.

I realise the first installation attempt was actually with the win32diskimager and when that failed, I tried the Rufus tool. Then Etcher from within the old Debian environment.

This morning I tried again with the win32 tool, double checking that the MD5 checksum was correct (it always was). This failed in the same way. Also tried a different (16GB) Lexar UFD but it failed in the same way.

I get the menu of 4 options (start Mint, start Mint in compatibility mode, OEM install and check integrity). None of them do anything helpful unless you include running away to the top left of the blank screen behind a frozen cursor.

I've carefully checked the hints post you linked to but nothing springs out. Similarly, the BIOS doesn't seem to offer any settings that seem relevant. It claims UEFI 2.0 compliance if that's of relevance. The BIOS clock is showing the right time, so the backup battery hasn't failed, FWIW.

Currently it has a 120GB Samsung SSD with the original Debian system on it, which runs fine. I removed that and tried a complete new 128GB ADATA SSD in case that is in some way causing the issue. No improvement.

Perplexed! Any suggestions?
Last edit: 26 Oct 2020 12:06 by Muzzer.

More
26 Oct 2020 19:43 #187336 by BeagleBrainz

More
27 Oct 2020 11:20 #187400 by Muzzer
Sorry, missed that bit. That's a new option for me. I edited out the quiet bit and it generated a couple of screenfuls before it got stuck again. It sits there for as long as you like, even overnight. Nothing from mouse or keyboard will move it on. The only option is to do a hard reset or power cycle.

Here's what I get each time:

Changed BIOS from IDE to AHCI

And back again to IDE, same outcome.

Ooof.
Attachments:

More
27 Oct 2020 11:39 #187401 by BeagleBrainz
Ok if you can try this:
After you remove the option as before can you add this option
intel_idle.max_cstate=0

More
27 Oct 2020 12:01 #187402 by Muzzer
I made these changes - hoping this is what you meant. No change.

Note that it boots into the original Debian install and also almost booted off an SSD with W10 on it. Suggests it might be something to do with trying to boot from USB. I don't have a DVD drive in this machine but perhaps I should see if there's a SATA DVD drive somewhere. I'm guessing a USB DVD drive wouldn't be a great idea.
Attachments:

More
27 Oct 2020 12:29 #187405 by BeagleBrainz
I meant replace the string “quiet” with the one I suggested, it has to be where quiet was. Ie before the “—“ part.
It’s not a boot media issue, it’s an issue with the processor. The processor is fine with the Wheezy kernel but not so with later kernels.

More
27 Oct 2020 13:40 - 27 Oct 2020 13:46 #187414 by Muzzer
Yes, it certainly behaved as if the processor had frozen up.

That appears to have fixed the issue to some extent. It came up with the live installation and is attempting to install itself on the SSD. However, it's just failed, complaining about ubi-partman code 10. That sounds like a partition issue?

I have another SSD that I can try with. Got family and work stuff to do this afternoon, so this will have to wait until the evening.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Oct 2020 13:46 by Muzzer.

More
27 Oct 2020 18:13 #187449 by BeagleBrainz
Before installing run the latency tests, just to make sure your chosen board is up to the task.

As for the installation issue you will need to add nodmraid as well as the option previously mentioned.
Once your install is complete you will need to go through the same procedure again but just using the adding the first option.
If the boot into the new installation works we’ll walk thru how to make that change permanent.

More
30 Oct 2020 00:02 - 30 Oct 2020 02:49 #187737 by BeagleBrainz
Can someone come and get the black dog ?
Last edit: 30 Oct 2020 02:49 by BeagleBrainz.

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds