NC files and Lathe canned cycles.

More
25 Jun 2013 00:00 #36003 by microsprintbuilder
Does anyone know if it's possible to have when you go to open a file for code it's NC or Text and not ngc, png, gif, pgg. I use cam software and can out put nc. or text and I have to select all files every time to see my files. it's an extra step I'd like to eliminate. Also when I start the program it keeps defaulting back to a sample mill program and I get a move not allowed error I have to cancel out to finish loading the screen. This is annoying as this is a lathe. Next is there a way to alter the tool change format. Id' like it to be the same as the lathes I have with OEM controls. T#### not T##M06G43. The first 2## are the tool and the last 2 are the offset. Lastly is anyone of you computer savvy guys working on OD/ID (G71) and Face (G72)canned cycles. What a time saver these are when you want to do multiple passes and just writing code at the machine. I have mach 3 software on one machine and looked at the macro file and it's not much but I don't have a clue what any of it means.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2013 01:02 #36007 by BigJohnT

Does anyone know if it's possible to have when you go to open a file for code it's NC or Text and not ngc, png, gif, pgg. I use cam software and can out put nc. or text and I have to select all files every time to see my files. it's an extra step I'd like to eliminate.

Do you mean can you use a different extension for a ngc file then yes, it is an ini entry to add different extensions. If you mean can you open G code files created for different programs usually no.

Also when I start the program it keeps defaulting back to a sample mill program and I get a move not allowed error I have to cancel out to finish loading the screen. This is annoying as this is a lathe.

Look at the OPEN_FILE in the DISPLAY section of the ini file.

Next is there a way to alter the tool change format. Id' like it to be the same as the lathes I have with OEM controls. T#### not T##M06G43. The first 2## are the tool and the last 2 are the offset.

That is being worked on...

Lastly is anyone of you computer savvy guys working on OD/ID (G71) and Face (G72)canned cycles. What a time saver these are when you want to do multiple passes and just writing code at the machine. I have mach 3 software on one machine and looked at the macro file and it's not much but I don't have a clue what any of it means.

You can do that now with ngcgui . I have several subroutines for ngcgui on my web site .

JT

More
25 Jun 2013 17:26 - 25 Jun 2013 17:26 #36034 by ArcEye

Lastly is anyone of you computer savvy guys working on OD/ID (G71) and Face (G72)canned cycles. What a time saver these are when you want to do multiple passes and just writing code at the machine. I have mach 3 software on one machine and looked at the macro file and it's not much but I don't have a clue what any of it means.

If you have the G71 / 72 macros from the Mach3 site, they may well be the ones I wrote a few years ago, in a previous incarnation :P

My Linuxcnc versions of them are here converted to ngcgui
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...ines-g71-g72-etc-etc

It will take a bit, to get your head around chaining all the subs together, to form the whole routine, but well worth it in the long term.

regards
Last edit: 25 Jun 2013 17:26 by ArcEye.

More
25 Jun 2013 19:51 #36036 by emcPT
I do not want to steel the thread... but I would like to ask if the GCode interperter will understand the cycle if it is placed on the code (not generated by ngcgui), like

G71 U1.0 R0.5
G71 P10 Q40 F2 U0.2 W0.1
N10 G0 X1.6
N20 G1 Z-4.0
N30 X2.5 Z-5.0
N40 G1 X4

If not, I often program in C++, I would try to implement it as I need it.
I would need more info, mainly were to start, or look into, because, as I remember 2 years ago I made an attempt and due to the lack of time and will I did not went forward. Now I have (want to) go forward with it as I have a good machine under build. It is located here: linuxcnc.org/hardy/dapper/emc2/emc2/inde...ties-status?start=90
Also, what is the main reason that it is still not implemented and implemented with ngcgui? It is due to complexity? Changing the gcode interpreter is hard, something that changing it will most probably affect other code?

Thank you

More
25 Jun 2013 20:11 #36038 by ArcEye
Hi

One of the main reasons I can think of as to why the Fanuc style G71 is not adopted, is that it relies upon numbered code blocks.
Since Linuxcnc does not even use line numbers, that is the first insoluble.

It also relies upon several subcode letter 'arguments' and at least some of them are reserved for other things.
I am not sure how many there can be to a G call, M is restricted to 2.
Mach had a restriction of 3, I seem to remember, and I had to put the others in comments to be specifically parsed by the macro when it was called by G71/2

I too thought about doing what you describe and then ngcgui came along and I was able to achieve what I wanted another way.
The incrementing algorithms needed for taking progressive cuts down to a finished profile are quite suitable for G Code and ngcgui provided a method to hold the
finished profile required and the starting dimensions.
I hold those co-ordinates in arrays of parameters, which allow quite efficient indexing in G Code.

As for how to implement it, you would need to totally immerse yourself in the interpreter code, it is quite hard to get your head around, I have looked at it.

Best of luck if you decide to go ahead

regards

More
26 Jun 2013 19:08 #36071 by andypugh
[quote="ArcEye" post=36038One of the main reasons I can think of as to why the Fanuc style G71 is not adopted, is that it relies upon numbered code blocks.
Since Linuxcnc does not even use line numbers, that is the first insoluble.[/quote]

Having given this several seconds of thought, I wonder if:

G71 P100 R0.1
o100 BLOCK
G1 Z2
G3 X11 R23
o100 ENDBLOCK

Would be an option in LinuxCNC?

I imagine that the code would fit somewhere around src/emc/rs274ngc/interp_convert.cc around line 2149 9if you are lost in a maze of source files all alike)

You will probably end up in convert_cycle.cc from there, though G76 is possibly the closest to G71, and that is in convert_straight in interp_convert.cc

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds